Our li-bear-ian statue was captured by artist Steve Keene.
Toys and books are a perfect match in the Youth Wing!
Interactive toys capture the imagination of Brooklyn's littlest residents.
Toys and puppets are used at storytime to make the experience even more colorful.
Teens have their own welcoming space in the Youth Wing.
The Youth Wing provides an educational and interactive learning experience for newborns to teens, as well as their parents and caregivers. Kids and teens are encouraged to use the Youth Wing as a community space for both studying and socializing.
Our Children's and Young Adult Collections offer a large assortment of English and world language books, graphic novels/comics, and CDs and DVDs for kids.
The Youth Wing also hosts a variety of carefully curated events to educate and inspire creativity including weekly programs for kids and teens, special performances, and author events.
Be sure to stop by the Children's Reference Desk to see our bear sculpture created by Edna Guck, which has been in the library since the 1930s, and more recent portraits of the bear created by Brooklyn artist Steve Keene.
Are you an educator interested in bringing your class to the Youth Wing, or looking to put together a course syllabus? Our skilled Librarians are always available to assist you in collecting materials for school assignments or to recommend materials within the Wing for your own professional development. Learn more about scheduling class visits and our other services for teachers and educators.
Our upstairs Tech Loft houses 27 computers for children and teens up to age 16. The Tech Loft is open from 3pm to closing during the school year and all day during the summer. (Educators may reserve the space for a Brooklyn-based school -- call (718) 230-2116 at least two weeks to make a reservation.) An additional 8 computers with Microsoft Office, Internet access and color printing capabilities are also available.
Our Children’s Collection includes:
- Board books, Concept/Alphabet books, and an extensive selection of Picture Books perfect for children from birth to 5 years.
- A vast array of non-fiction, folk and fairy tales, graphic novels, and fiction including easy readers and chapter books for children ages 5-12.
- A collection of world language books for children of all ages, including Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Farsi, French, German, Haitian-Creole, Hindi, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish and Vietnamese in addition to our English language collection.
- Children's DVDs, audiobooks on CD, and music CDs.
- Three computers (for children under 8) with a variety of games that enhance children's motor and early literacy skills.
Our Young Adult Collection includes:
- A wide variety of fiction, graphic novels and comics for teens ages 12 to 18.
- A range of non-fiction materials specifically for teens including books about astrology, careers, history, health issues, sports, crafts, and test prep books for various standardized tests.
- An Assignment section filled with commonly assigned school titles including old and modern classics.
- Picture Books for Drag Queen Story Hour