Brooklyn Public Library is a premier resource for aspiring entrepreneurs and small business owners, and we have events, classes, one-on-one assistance, and resources to help you find the answers that you need.
What We Do
- Expert led events and classes on all aspects of starting, running, and growing your business.
- Librarian led events on how to utilize all of the library’s business resources and where to look for additional help.
- Expert led events on important business topics in English, Spanish, Russian, and Kreyol in multiple branch locations.
- Go to our Events Calendar to see all of our upcoming business events and classes.
Meet with experienced mentors from SCORE for free, personalized business advice. Book an appointment at the Central Library by going to SCORE NYC and clicking "Find a Mentor." Mentors also take walk-in appointments if they do not have an appointment, but booking an appointment is the only way to guarantee time with a mentor. SCORE mentors are available at the Central Library in the Information Commons Meeting Room 3 on:
- Mondays from 10:00AM to 2:00PM
- Tuesdays from 5:00PM to 9:00PM
- Wednesdays from 10:00AM to 2:00PM
SCORE business mentoring is also available at the Flatbush library on the following days and times
- Wednesdays from 10:00AM to 1:00PM
Free Legal Clinics from the Neighborhood Entrepreneur Law Project and the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) that are offered every other month.
- Annual business plan competition that awards finalists with seed capital and feedback from our qualified judges.
- Separate annual business plan competition for Kreyol speakers and Haitian Americans.
- Go to our PowerUP! page for more information.
- Useful Subject Guides created by our business librarians. See the "Subject Guides" box on the right side of this page to see our most up to date Subject Guides.
- Subscriptions to the leading trade magazines and business newspapers.
- Online databases with authoritative information about your industry, competitors, or target customers.
Events & Classes
Digital Marketing for Savvy Entrepreneurs-Launch & Grow Your Business: A Blueprint for Your Business6:30 pm, Central Library, Dweck Center
- Success Stories
- Craft Business
- Start or Run a Nonprofit
Let my people go surfing : the education of a reluctant businessman, including 10 more years of business unusualChouinard, Yvon, 1938- author.
The farm on the roof : what Brooklyn Grange taught us about entrepreneurship, community, and growing a sustainable businessPlakias, Anastasia Cole
Strategy beyond the hockey stick : people, probabilities, and big moves to beat the oddsBradley, Chris (Business consultant)
Creative courage : leveraging imagination, collaboration, and innovation to create success beyond your wildest dreamsAltidor, Welby, 1973- author.
Fearless growth : the new rules to stay competitive, foster innovation, and dominate your marketsSetili, Amanda, 1959- author.
New power : how movements build, businesses thrive, and ideas catch fire in our hyper-connected worldHeimans, Jeremy
Blueprint to business : an entrepreneur's guide to taking action, committing to the grind, and doing the things that most people won'tAlden, Michael, 1975- author.
The young adult's guide to selling your art, music, writing, photography, & crafts online : turn your hobby into cashO'Phelan, Ann Marie, 1960- author.
Free agent nation : how America's new independent workers are transforming the way we livePink, Daniel H.
Thriving in the gig economy : how to capitalize and compete in the new world of workMcGovern, Marion, 1958- author.
The $100 startup : reinvent the way you make a living, do what you love, and create a new futureGuillebeau, Chris.
Freelance to freedom : the roadmap for creating a side business to achieve financial, time and life freedomPugliese, Vincent
The Gig Is Up : Thrive in the Gig Economy, Where Old Jobs Are Obsolete and Freelancing Is the FutureMizrahi, Olga
The gig economy : the complete guide to getting better work, taking more time off, and financing the life you want!Mulcahy, Diane
The essential guide to freelance writing : how to write, work, & thrive on your own termsPetit, Zachary
The grant writing and funding coach : target and acquire the funds you need : how individuals, non-profits, local governments and community organizations build bridges with fundersGriffiths, Deborah
Every nonprofit's tax guide : how to keep your tax-exempt status & avoid IRS problemsFishman, Stephen
Social startup success : how the best nonprofits launch, scale up, and make a differenceJanus, Kathleen Kelly
365 ideas for recruiting, retaining, motivating and rewarding your volunteers : a complete guide for nonprofit organizationsFader, Sunny, 1931- author.