Brooklyn Public Library is a premier resource for aspiring entrepreneurs and small business owners, and we have events, classes, one-on-one assistance, and resources to help you find the answers that you need.
What We Do
- Expert led events and classes on all aspects of starting, running, and growing your business.
- Librarian led events on how to utilize all of the library’s business resources and where to look for additional help.
- Expert led events on important business topics in English, Spanish, and Kreyol in multiple branch locations.
- Go to our Events Calendar to see all of our upcoming business events and classes.
- Meet one-on-one with an expert business mentor from SCORE at the Central Library on Monday from 10:00am to 2:00pm, Tuesday from 5:00pm to 9:00pm, and Wednesday from 10:00am to 2:00pm. Mentors will take walk-in appointments, but the only way to guarantee that you will be seen is to schedule an appointment. Go to SCORE NYC and select "Find a Mentor" to schedule an appointment.
- Free Legal Clinics from the Neighborhood Entrepreneur Law Project and the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) that are offered every other month.
- Annual business plan competition that awards finalists with seed capital and feedback from our qualified judges.
- Separate annual business plan competition for Kreyol speakers and Haitian Americans.
- Go to our PowerUP! page for more information.
- Useful Subject Guides created by our business librarians. See the "Subject Guides" box on the right side of this page to see our most up to date Subject Guides.
- Subscriptions to the leading trade magazines and business newspapers.
- Online databases with authoritative information about your industry, competitors, or target customers.
Events & Classes
Money Matters: Financing Alternatives for Entrepreneurs Legal Aspects of Crowdfunding 6:00 pm, Central Library, Info Commons Lab
Sounds on the Screen: A Behind the Scenes Look at Music Supervision6:00 pm, Central Library, Dweck Center
Poetry Writing Workshop: Accessing The Emotions Of The Reader With The Use Of Poetic Language7:00 pm, Central Library, Info Commons Lab
- Digital Marketing
- Arts Entrepreneurship
- Start or Run a Nonprofit