Brooklyn Public Library is a premier resource for aspiring entrepreneurs and small business owners, and we have events, classes, one-on-one assistance, and resources to help you find the answers that you need.
What We Do
- Expert led events and classes on all aspects of starting, running, and growing your business.
- Librarian led events on how to utilize all of the library’s business resources and where to look for additional help.
- Expert led events on important business topics in English, Spanish, and Kreyol in multiple branch locations.
- Go to our Events Calendar to see all of our upcoming business events and classes.
Mondays from 10:00AM to 2:00PM
Tuesdays from 5:00PM to 9:00PM
Wednesdays from 10:00AM to 2:00PM
- Meet with experienced mentors from SCORE for free, personalized business advice. Book an appointment at the Central Library by going to SCORE NYC and clicking "Find a Mentor." Mentors also take walk-in appointments if they do not have an appointment, but booking an appointment is the only way to guarantee time with a mentor. SCORE mentors are available at the Central Library in the Information Commons Meeting Room 3 on:
- Free Legal Clinics from the Neighborhood Entrepreneur Law Project and the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) that are offered every other month.
- Annual business plan competition that awards finalists with seed capital and feedback from our qualified judges.
- Separate annual business plan competition for Kreyol speakers and Haitian Americans.
- Go to our PowerUP! page for more information.
- Useful Subject Guides created by our business librarians. See the "Subject Guides" box on the right side of this page to see our most up to date Subject Guides.
- Subscriptions to the leading trade magazines and business newspapers.
- Online databases with authoritative information about your industry, competitors, or target customers.
Events & Classes
Creative Writing Workshop: Winning New Audiences with the Use of Persuasive Writing7:00 pm, Central Library, Info Commons Lab
Storytelling Workshop: How to Sell an Idea or Product with the Use of Storytelling7:00 pm, Central Library, Info Commons Lab
FastTrac GrowthVenture: Gain the Tools to Grow Your Business!10:00 am, Central Library, Room 214
Poetry Writing Workshop: Accessing the Emotions of the Reader with the Use of Poetic Language7:00 pm, Central Library, Info Commons Lab
- The Business of Fashion
- Craft Business
- Digital Marketing
- Start or Run a Nonprofit
Where stylists shop : the fashion insider's ultimate guide : the secret source list of designers, stylists, editors, bloggers, models, costume designers, street-style stars, and tastemakersMoore, Booth
200 skills every fashion designer must have : the indispensable guide to building skills and turning ideas into realityMcKeefry, Aisling.
Sewing hope : how one factory challenges the apparel industry's sweatshopsAdler-Milstein, Sarah, 1983- author.
The young adult's guide to selling your art, music, writing, photography, & crafts online : turn your hobby into cashO'Phelan, Ann Marie, 1960- author.
Online marketing for your craft business : how to get your handmade products discovered, shared and sold on the internetPullen, Hilary
Understanding digital marketing : marketing strategies for engaging the digital generationRyan, Damian
The new rules of marketing & PR : how to use social media, online video, mobile applications, blogs, news releases, and viral marketing to reach buyers directlyScott, David Meerman
Profitable podcasting : grow your business, expand your platform, and build a nation of true fansWoessner, Stephen, 1972- author.
Winning at social customer care : how top brands create engaging experiences on social mediaGingiss, Dan
Webs of influence : the psychology of online persuasion : the secret strategies that make us clickNahai, Nathalie
Digital sense : the common sense approach to effectively blending social business strategy, marketing technology, and customer experienceWright, Travis
Crushing it! : how great entrepreneurs build business and influence-- and how you can, tooVaynerchuk, Gary
Profit first : transform any business from a cash-eating monster to a money-making machineMichalowicz, Mike
The handbook of startup fundraising : pitching investors, negotiating the deal, and everything else entrepreneurs need to knowCremades, Alejandro
The crowdfunding handbook : raise money for your small business or start-up with equity funding portalsEnnico, Clifford R.
Social startup success : how the best nonprofits launch, scale up, and make a differenceJanus, Kathleen Kelly
Go get that grant! : a practical guide for libraries and nonprofit organizationsStaines, Gail M., 1961- author.
365 ideas for recruiting, retaining, motivating and rewarding your volunteers : a complete guide for nonprofit organizationsFader, Sunny, 1931- author.
Every Nonprofit's Tax Guide : How to Keep Your Tax-exempt Status & Avoid IRS ProblemsFishman, Stephen