Brooklyn Public Library is a premier resource for aspiring entrepreneurs and small business owners, and we have events, classes, one-on-one assistance, and resources to help you find the answers that you need.
What We Do
- Expert led events and classes on all aspects of starting, running, and growing your business.
- Librarian led events on how to utilize all of the library’s business resources and where to look for additional help.
- Expert led events on important business topics in English, Spanish, Russian, and Kreyol in multiple branch locations.
- Go to our Events Calendar to see all of our upcoming business events and classes.
Meet with experienced mentors from SCORE for free, personalized business advice. Book an appointment at the Central Library by going to SCORE NYC and clicking "Find a Mentor." SCORE mentors are available at the Central Library in the Information Commons Meeting Room 3 on:
- Mondays from 10:00AM to 2:00PM
- Tuesdays from 5:00PM to 7:00PM
- Wednesdays from 10:00AM to 2:00PM
Free Legal Clinics from the Neighborhood Entrepreneur Law Project and the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) that are offered every other month.
- Annual business plan competition that awards finalists with seed capital and feedback from our qualified judges.
- Separate annual business plan competition for Kreyol speakers and Haitian Americans.
- Go to our PowerUP! page for more information.
- Useful Subject Guides created by our business librarians. See the "Subject Guides" box on the right side of this page to see our most up to date Subject Guides.
- Subscriptions to the leading trade magazines and business newspapers.
- Online databases with authoritative information about your industry, competitors, or target customers.
Events & Classes
WE Connect Mentor Session with Inventor Krista Barnett10:00 am, Central Library, Info Commons, Room 4
WE Connect Mentor Session with Cross-Media Artist Malene Barnett10:00 am, Central Library, Info Commons, Room 4
2019 PowerUP! Business Plan Competition Kick-off Orientation6:00 pm, Central Library, Dweck Center
- Success Stories
- Business Planning
- Marketing Your Business
- Start or Run a Nonprofit
In the company of women : inspiration and advice from over 100 makers, artists, and entrepreneursBonney, Grace.
Thirst : a story of redemption, compassion, and a mission to bring clean water to the worldHarrison, Scott
Riding high : how I kissed Soulcycle goodbye, founded Flywheel, and built the life I always wantedZukerman, Ruth
The power of broke : how empty pockets, a tight budget, and a hunger for success can become your greatest competitive advantageJohn, Daymond, 1969- author.
Upstarts : how GenY entrepreneurs are rocking the world of business and 8 ways you can profit from their successFenn, Donna.
My father's business : the small-town values that built Dollar General into a billion-dollar companyTurner, Cal
Harvard Business Review entrepreneur's handbook : everything you need to launch and grow your new business.
What's your digital business model? : six questions to help you build the next-generation enterpriseWeill, Peter
The business plan workbook : a step-by-step guide to creating and developing a successful businessBarrow, Colin
Marketing your startup : the Inc. guide to getting customers, gaining traction, and growing your businessCovel, Simona
Digital sense : the common sense approach to effectively blending social business strategy, marketing technology, and customer experienceWright, Travis
Understanding digital marketing : marketing strategies for engaging the digital generationRyan, Damian
Marketing to Gen Z : the rules for reaching this vast--and very different--generation of influencersFromm, Jeff.
The new rules of marketing & PR : how to use social media, online video, mobile applications, blogs, news releases, and viral marketing to reach buyers directlyScott, David Meerman
Starting a business from home : your guide to planning your home start-up, reaching a market and creating a profitBarrow, Colin
The ultimate freelancer's guidebook : learn how to: land the best jobs, build your brand, be your own bossBlack, Yuwanda
Working for yourself : law & taxes for independent contractors, freelancers & gig workers of all typesFishman, Stephen.
The irresistible consultant's guide to winning clients : 6 steps to unlimited clients & financial freedomFields, David A.
Freelance to freedom : the roadmap for creating a side business to achieve financial, time and life freedomPugliese, Vincent
Nonprofit meetings, minutes, & records : how to run your nonprofit corporation so you don't run into troubleMancuso, Anthony.
Social startup success : how the best nonprofits launch, scale up, and make a differenceJanus, Kathleen Kelly