Welcome to the BKLYN Fashion Academy!
This year we embarked on a journey through time where we rediscovered the history and fashion culture of the Herero Women of Namibia, and dove into the future with cutting-edge technology sponsored by Microsoft. Our neo-Victorian theme will take you on a futuristic rollercoaster, into the realm of Steampunk and intropudce you to a growing wave in fashion.
Using Microsoft technology, via MakeCode, designers were able to "enhance the storytelling power of their work using custom-made plug-and-play microcontroller technology." This year's video from the On the Runway: Homage to Future Fashion Show, captures all the colors, excitement, culture and creativity the designers had to offer.
Video By: Microsoft Research
To learn more about the technology used, Microsoft's partnership with the BKLYN Fashion Academy and much more check out: Fashion Forward.
Want to see this year's BKLYN Fashion Academy Designers?
Check them out on the Made In NY: Fashion Instagram page, where you can get a little background on each designer and see what they have to offer!
Herero Women of Namibia
Photo Credit: Refinery29
StitchKit Tech Pack
Photo Credit: StitchKit
Stay tuned and for more Fashion Academy updates you can subscribe to the Business & Career Center eNewsletter.
Video by Nick Collingwood
- Entrants must be 18 years of age or older, live in Brooklyn and have sewing experience.
- The application process is now closed. For Fashion related events, please the library's events calendar.
- You will be required to attend 7 classes, attend technical labs and create a minimum of 4 looks.
- You will also complete an illustrated drawing of your main look, and feature your completed mini collection in the BFA Fashion Show.
- The fashion show will take place May 3, 2019 at the Central Library, 10 Grand Army Plaza.Tickets will be available through Eventbrite in the coming months.
- The theme is the “Hereros of Namibia”. The women of Namibia make a strong statement decked out in voluminous Victorian-style dresses called the Ohorkova as a continual protest against the Germans who nearly exterminated their entire tribe in the genocide of 1904. Their headgear symbolizes horns in honor of the cattle that their communities depend on so highly. Selected designers will be required to create one look, within their collection, centered on the theme of the “Hereros”, and incorporate StitchKit technology. All remaining garments are open to the designer’s choice, but must be cohesive and completed in the time allotted.
- The Fashion Industry
- Fashion Design
Where stylists shop : the fashion insider's ultimate guide : the secret source list of designers, stylists, editors, bloggers, models, costume designers, street-style stars, and tastemakersMoore, Booth
200 skills every fashion designer must have : the indispensable guide to building skills and turning ideas into realityMcKeefry, Aisling.
Sewing hope : how one factory challenges the apparel industry's sweatshopsAdler-Milstein, Sarah, 1983- author.
Designing clothes with the flat pattern method : customize fitting shells to create garments in any styleAlm, Sara
Gertie's new book for better sewing : a modern guide to couture-style sewing using basic vintage techniquesHirsch, Gretchen, 1979-
Sourcing Ideas : Researching Colour, Surface, Structure, Texture and PatternSteed, Josephine/ Stevenson, Frances
Fitting & pattern alteration : a multi-method approach to the art of style selection, fitting, and alterationLiechty, Elizabeth G
Fashion Patternmaking Techniques : Women / Men: How to Make Shirts, Undergarments, Dresses and Suits, Waistcoats, Men's JacketsDonnanno, Antonio/ Drudi, Elisabetta Kuky (ILT)
Fashion Patternmaking Techniques : How to Make Jackets, Coats and Cloaks for Women and MenDonnanno, Antonio/ Drudi, Elisabetta Kuky (ILT)
Fashion design techniques : the basics and practical application of fashion illustrationTakamura, Zeshū, 1964- author.
The art of fashion illustration : learn the techniques and inspiration of today's leading fashion artistsTejwani, Somer Flaherty