Welcome to the BKLYN Fashion Academy!
The second round of the BKLYN Fashion Academy (BFA) is HERE! We are thrilled to have you with us.
This year we will dive into the fashion culture of the Herero Women of Namibia and incorporate the technology of StitchKit.
Photo Credit: Refinery29
Photo Credit: StitchKit
Our neo-Victorian theme will take you on a futuristic rollercoaster, into the realm of Steampunk and introduce you to a growing wave in fashion.
Thinking of joining us this year? The application for the BKLYN Fashion Academy is LIVE! Apply below.
For more Fashion Academy updates you can subscribe to the Business & Career Center eNewsletter.
Video by Nick Collingwood
Check out the first cohort of BKLYN Fashion Academy Designers featured on the Made In NY: Fashion Instagram page!
- Entrants must be 18 years of age or older, live in Brooklyn and have sewing experience.
- You may apply on this website beginning Monday October 22 until Friday December 21, 2018.
- You will be required to attend 7 classes, attend technical labs and create a minimum of 4 looks.
- You will also complete an illustrated drawing of your main look, and feature your completed mini collection in the BFA Fashion Show.
- The tentative classes are as follows:
- Fashion Illustration at Mood U – 1 Day Intensive, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Sustainability and Technology – 1 Day Intensive, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Sample Development and Sourcing – 1 Day Intensive, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
- 4 Market Research Classes at the Central Library 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm (2 hours each)
- Technical Labs – Dates to be provided to participants accepted into the program
- The fashion show will take place May 3, 2019 at the Central Library, 10 Grand Army Plaza.
- The theme is the “Hereros of Namibia”. The women of Namibia make a strong statement decked out in voluminous Victorian-style dresses called the Ohorkova as a continual protest against the Germans who nearly exterminated their entire tribe in the genocide of 1904. Their headgear symbolizes horns in honor of the cattle that their communities depend on so highly. Selected designers will be required to create one look, within their collection, centered on the theme of the “Hereros”, and incorporate StitchKit technology. All remaining garments are open to the designer’s choice, but must be cohesive and completed in the time allotted.
BPL’s Business & Career Center is generously supported by Dime Community Bank, Lead Funder of the PowerUP! Business Plan Competition, women.nyc, Ridgewood Savings Bank, Con Edison, ReferenceUSA, Elizabeth Crowell & Robert Wilson and Signature Bank. Previously funding from the Charles H. Revson Foundation, through BKLYN Incubator.
- The Fashion Industry
- Fashion Design
Where stylists shop : the fashion insider's ultimate guide : the secret source list of designers, stylists, editors, bloggers, models, costume designers, street-style stars, and tastemakersMoore, Booth
200 skills every fashion designer must have : the indispensable guide to building skills and turning ideas into realityMcKeefry, Aisling.
Sewing hope : how one factory challenges the apparel industry's sweatshopsAdler-Milstein, Sarah, 1983- author.
Designing clothes with the flat pattern method : customize fitting shells to create garments in any styleAlm, Sara
Gertie's new book for better sewing : a modern guide to couture-style sewing using basic vintage techniquesHirsch, Gretchen, 1979-
Sourcing Ideas : Researching Colour, Surface, Structure, Texture and PatternSteed, Josephine/ Stevenson, Frances
Fitting & pattern alteration : a multi-method approach to the art of style selection, fitting, and alterationLiechty, Elizabeth G
Fashion Patternmaking Techniques : Women / Men: How to Make Shirts, Undergarments, Dresses and Suits, Waistcoats, Men's JacketsDonnanno, Antonio/ Drudi, Elisabetta Kuky (ILT)
Fashion Patternmaking Techniques : How to Make Jackets, Coats and Cloaks for Women and MenDonnanno, Antonio/ Drudi, Elisabetta Kuky (ILT)
Fashion design techniques : the basics and practical application of fashion illustrationTakamura, Zeshū, 1964- author.
The art of fashion illustration : learn the techniques and inspiration of today's leading fashion artistsTejwani, Somer Flaherty