The predecessor to Walt Whitman Library opened in a storefront on Nassau and Bridge streets in 1900. Eight years later, a beautiful new library, funded by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie and built in the Classical Revival style, opened on St. Edwards Street in Fort Greene. Today, Walt Whitman Library serves the residents of numerous public housing complexes, including the Raymond Ingersoll Houses and the Walt Whitman Houses.
In addition to the Navy Yard, Walt Whitman staff and patrons are within walking distance of cultural venues like the Brooklyn Academy of Music and Barclay’s Center.
Walt Whitman Library is a popular destination for young people, many of whom come to the library to do homework or simply blow off steam playing games. Story time sessions for youngsters are always well-attended.
Friends of Walt Whitman Library
Walt Whitman Library is in the process of forming a Friends Group! Friends of Walt Whitman Library will be a group of organized volunteers who help our neighborhood library through advocacy, fundraising and promotion. If you are interested in becoming a Friend of Walt Whitman Library, ask a staff member for details or email [email protected] for more information.