The Mill Basin Branch originally opened in 1940 in the Austin Pharmacy, a storefront deposit station located on Avenue T. Through the diligence and hard work of the Mill Basin Community, the library managed to move from cramped quarters to its own new building. In October of 1974, the branch finally settled into a new modern brick building on Ralph Avenue. Located in the Canarsie-Flatlands section of Brooklyn, Mill Basin's patrons are of Carribbean, Irish, Italian, Jewish, and Russian descent. The branch is close to two elementary schools, one intermediate school and six private or religious schools, and it hosts a large number of programs to serve the area's youth.
Friends of Mill Basin Library
Friends of Mill Basin Library is a group of organized volunteers who help our neighborhood library through advocacy, fundraising and promotion. If you are interested in becoming a Friend of Mill Basin Library, ask a staff member for details or email [email protected] for more information.
- Brooklyn History & Memoirs
- Diverse Children's Books