BPL's Teacher Library Card allows educators to take advantage of the Library’s rich collection for their students. Apply online today!
What can a Teacher Library Card do for you?
- No fees for late returns on books. Late fees apply to DVDs and CDs.
- Borrow up to 100 items. 10 DVDs and 10 CDs permitted on each Teacher Library Card account at one time.
- Borrow books for 60 days, Borrow DVDs for 14 days. Regular lending periods apply to other materials.
- Place holds on up to 50 items.
Frequently Asked Questions
Educators, administrators, librarians, and childcare providers currently employed in a public and private school, licensed childcare facility, afterschool, or special education program as well as homeschooling parents and guardians are eligible to apply for a Teacher Library Card.
You can apply online for the Teacher Library Card. Once the application is submitted, you can pick up your teacher card at your local library by supplying acceptable identification:
- A current school-issued or program-issued photo ID
- A current letter on the school’s or program’s letterhead confirming employment and NYS photo ID
- If applying during a class visit, a valid NYS photo ID (no letter necessary)
- For parents or guardians homeschooling their children, a current copy of the child’s Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP)
A Teacher Library Card is free for teachers in New York State. There is no charge for replacement cards if a Teacher Library Card is lost.
There must be no overdue, billed, or lost items on your Teacher Card to be considered “in good standing.”
Teacher Library Cards have different rules associated with them. You cannot use your personal library account as a Teacher Library Card, nor are we able to change cards. It is better to maintain your personal account separately.
Because the accounts are separate, you can still apply for a Teacher Card. You must keep your Teacher Card in good standing to continue to use it.
Teacher cards can borrow all circulating library materials. Late fees will not be charged for books. Standard late fees apply to CDs and DVDs.
- Books are checked out for 60 days
- DVDs are checked out for 14 days
- CDs are checked out for 7 days
Items can be renewed a maximum of two times by logging into My Account and choosing Renew All. Items on hold or that have reached billed status cannot be renewed.