BPL's Educator Library Card allows educators to take advantage of the Library’s rich collection for their students. Apply online today!
What can an Educator Card do for you?
- No fees for late returns on books. Late fees apply to DVDs and CDs.
- Borrow up to 100 items. 10 DVDs and 10 CDs permitted on each Educator Library Card account at one time.
- Borrow books for 60 days, borrow DVDs and CDs for 14 days. Regular lending periods apply to other materials.
- Place holds on up to 50 items.
- Renew books a maximum of 2 times, renew DVDs and CDs a maximum of 15 times.
Frequently Asked Questions
Teachers, administrators, librarians, and childcare providers currently employed in a public and private school, licensed childcare facility, afterschool, or special education program as well as homeschooling parents and guardians are eligible to apply for an Educator Card.
You can apply online for the Educator Card. Once the application is submitted, you can pick up your card at your local library by supplying one of the following acceptable identification:
- A current school-issued or program-issued photo ID (with verification sticker)*
- A current letter on the school’s or program’s letterhead confirming employment and NYS photo ID
- If applying during a class visit, a valid NYS photo ID (no letter necessary)
- For parents or guardians homeschooling their children, a current copy of the child’s Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP)
An Educator Card is free for teachers in New York State. There is no charge for replacement cards if an Educator Library Card is lost.
Educator cards can borrow all circulating library materials. Late fees will not be charged for books. Standard late fees apply to CDs and DVDs.
- Books can be checked out for 60 days and renewed a maximum of 2 times.
- DVDs can be checked out for 14 days.
- CDs can be checked out for 7 days.
- DVDs and CDs can be renewed a maximum of 15 times.
Items can be renewed by logging into My Account and choosing Renew All. Items on hold or that have reached billed status cannot be renewed.
Educator cards expire one year from date of issue. Bring one of the acceptable ID listed above to any library branch to renew your card.
Educator Library Cards have different rules associated with them. You cannot use your personal library account as an Educator Card, nor are we able to change cards. It is better to maintain your personal account separately.
Because the accounts are separate, you can still apply for an Educator Card.