Brooklyn Public Library (BPL) strives to maximize access to all library materials. BPL and its customers share a responsibility for the collection and as such, the library expects its customers to return borrowed materials on time and to treat them with care. To help ensure that materials are available for all, BPL charges fees for overdue, damaged and lost materials.
- BPL charges fees to all customers who return library material after the due date.
- BPL charges fees to all customers who damage or lose library material.
- BPL will notify all customers when they accrue a fee. Customers may chose the method of notification
- Customers are required to provide BPL with accurate contact information when completing a library card application and to promptly update that information when necessary.
- BPL may use a third-party collection agency for those customers who do not promptly pay their fees.
- BPL will refund any fees paid when a lost item is returned within 90 days of payment, in good condition, and with proof of payment.
- BPL will display the current fee schedule at all BPL locations and on its website. The fee schedule is subject to change at the discretion of BPL.
Restriction on Library Privileges:
BPL will restrict the library privileges of customers who owe fees greater than the “fee threshold.” The current threshold amount is listed on the fee schedule. The threshold is subject to change at the discretion of BPL.
At its discretion, BPL may waive some fees for customers who have experienced extreme hardship such as long-term hospitalization, imprisonment, eviction, fire or theft. It is the customer’s responsibility to complete a BPL Customer Service Form (available at all BPL locations) and to provide valid supporting documentation verifying the hardship.
Policy approved by Board of Trustees: February 23, 2010