Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Passport Services at Brooklyn Public Library are closed until further notice. All appointments and walk-in services are canceled as well.
Updates will be posted when there are changes to this information. Please continue to check back for updates.
Please note: We are a high volume walk-in facility and all the information needed to process your application are listed on the application and on the Passport section of the State Department website. If you are missing anything at the time of processing, you will have to come back when you are properly equipped to complete the process.
You must apply in person if any of the following are true:
- You have never been issued a U.S. passport or
- You were under age 16 when your previous passport was issued or
- Your most recent U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago or
- Your most recent U.S. passport was lost or stolen or
- Your name has changed since your previous U.S. passport was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change
How To Apply
STEP 1: Complete and Print Form
Please visit the passport section at travel.state.gov for the application.
Note: The DS-11 form must be filled out completely in black ink in order for your documents to be reviewed, but please do not sign the DS-11 form until the Passport Agent instructs you to do so.
STEP 2: Submit Completed Form + Additional Documents
Submit your completed application form and the following additional documents.
(For applicants 17 years old or younger, you must provide a birth certificate in addition to one of the following.)
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship: go to travel.state.gov for all acceptable forms of citizenship.
- Proof of Identity: go to travel.state.gov for all acceptable forms of identification.
Note: The ID cannot be damaged and must readily identify you.
- Photograph: go to travel.state.gov for details on the photograph.
BPL offers photo services during passport center hours for a fee (see below).
For additional acceptable materials, please visit travel.state.gov.
STEP 3: Pay the Applicable Fees
TWO payments are required: One made payable to the U.S. DEPT OF STATE and one made payable to Brooklyn Public Library. Fee must be correct in order to be seen; see the State Department's website for more information about the correct fee schedule.
Payment to Brooklyn Public Library
|Execution Fee (required):||$35 for each application form|
|Photo Fee (optional):||$18 for two photos of the same customer|
Payment to the U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE must be in the form of personal checks or money orders (no start checks accepted).
Payment to Brooklyn Public Library can be in the form of money orders, postal money orders, and credit/debit cards; payment made by debit or credit card will appear as Brooklyn Public Library (BPL) on your statement. We do not accept American Express at this time.
You may combine payments to the Library in one money order if there is more than one application.
Cash is not accepted.