BPL's Educator Card allows educators to take advantage of the Library’s rich collection for their students. Apply online today!
What can an Educator Card do for you?
- Borrow up to 100 items. 10 DVDs and 10 CDs permitted on each Educator Library Card account at one time.
- Borrow books for 60 days, borrow DVDs and CDs for 3 weeks. Regular lending periods apply to other materials.
- Place holds on up to 50 items.
- Renew books a maximum of 2 times, renew DVDs and CDs a maximum of 15 times.
Frequently Asked Questions
Teachers, administrators, librarians, and childcare providers currently employed in a NYC public or private school, licensed childcare facility, afterschool, or special education program as well as homeschooling parents and guardians are eligible to apply for an Educator Card.
Apply online for an Educator Card. You must pick up your card at a BPL branch by supplying a current school-issued or program-issued photo ID, or a regular government-issued photo ID (ex. driver's license, passport, IDNYC, etc.) along with any one of the following:
- A current paystub, student roster, or other documentation that validations that you are teaching in the current year
- A current letter on the school’s or program’s letterhead confirming employment
Educators applying for a card during a class visit need only present a valid NYS photo ID. Parents or guardians homeschooling their children may present a current copy of the child’s Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP).
An Educator Card is free for teachers in New York City. There is no charge for replacement cards if an Educator Library Card is lost.
Educator cards can borrow all circulating library materials. Learn more about BPL's fine-free policies.
- Books can be checked out for 60 days and renewed a maximum of 2 times.
- DVDs and CDs can be checked out for 3 weeks and renewed a maximum of 15 times.
Items can be renewed by logging into My Account and choosing Renew All. Items on hold or that have reached billed status cannot be renewed.
Educator cards expire one year from date of issue. Bring one of the acceptable ID listed above to any library branch to renew your card.
Educator Library Cards have different rules associated with them. You cannot use your personal library account as an Educator Card, nor are we able to change cards. It is better to maintain your personal account separately.