Brooklyn Public Library (BPL) engages customers through many digital outlets, including blogs, social media sites, online networks, account-related material rating and reviews, and other communications tools.
BPL social platforms provide a public forum to facilitate the sharing of ideas, opinions and information about library-related subjects and issues. BPL social platforms are intended to create a welcoming and inviting online space where library users will find useful and entertaining information and can interact with library staff and other library users.
While BPL encourages an open forum, posts and comments are moderated by library staff. BPL reserves the right, within its sole discretion, not to post and to remove submissions or comments that are unlawful or violate this policy. While comments will not be edited by BPL personnel, a comment may be deleted if it violates the comment policy described here.
Please be aware that when engaging with BPL over social media, you are agreeing to the following:
- Comments should be related to the posted topic for BPL’s social media page or post.
- BPL social media accounts are not open to comments promoting or opposing any person campaigning for election to a political office, or promotion or advertisement of a business or commercial transaction.
- The use of obscene, threatening or harassing language is prohibited.
- Personal attacks of any kind or offensive comments that target or disparage any ethnic, racial, age, or religious group, gender, sexual orientation or disability status are prohibited.
- Comments advocating illegal activity or posting of material that violates copyrights or trademarks of others are prohibited.
- You are subject to the Terms of Service (TOS) of the host site. Information (photos, videos, etc.) you share with or post to official BPL pages is also subject to the TOS of the host site and may be used by the owners of the host site for their own purposes. For more information, consult the host website's TOS.
This comment policy is subject to amendment or modification at any time.