Volunteer to enhance and encourage students ages 6-10 with their reading skills
- Read aloud to children using a dialogic reading method.
- Assist children in one-on-one reading sessions.
- Encourage the development of reading skills through interactive games.
- Promote the use of library resources by referring children to an on-staff specialist, when appropriate.
- Ability to make a minimum commitment of two to three hours per week.
- A strong commitment to working with children.
- A friendly and approachable manner.
- The ability to get along with a diverse group of children.
- Knowledge of languages other than English is a plus.
- Training is provided.
- Shifts are available at select library locations during Summer Reading 2019 (June 1st – August 31st ).
- BPL will conduct an investigative background check on volunteers 18 and older, which may be used when considering a prospective volunteer's application.