The Brooklyn Eagles are a vibrant group of young and engaged Brooklynites who are passionate about Brooklyn Public Library (BPL) and their community. We host events to connect new patrons to the Library, celebrate books through our literary prize, volunteer at branches and spread the word about BPL’s essential services for our borough.
Get involved! Join the Eagles with an annual membership to support free access to books, technology and literacy programs across BPL’s branches.
We offer three levels of support as a Brooklyn Eagle.
- Eagles Membership card
- Invitations to social gatherings, literary prize parties and other events
- Monthly emails with advance notice about BPL author talks, films and exhibitions
- Volunteer service opportunities at BPL branches
- Discounted Invitation to the annual Brooklyn Classic benefit and select ticketed Eagles events
- An amazing community of people who care about the Library and their community
- All Eagles Membership Benefits plus...
- Limited Edition Eagles Tote bag designed by artist Kate Gavino
- All Eagles First Edition Membership Benefits plus...
- BPL Librarian selected book
- VIP seating at BPL events
- Invitations to special BPL receptions
Since launching in 2013, Eagles have enjoyed Brooklyn history trivia nights, volunteer projects at neighborhood branches, behind-the-scenes holiday parties in the Brooklyn Collection, readings with amazing authors, Eagles book club gatherings, the Epilogue Gala afterparty, a field day competition against the Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy Currents, the Brooklyn Classic annual benefit, and more.
Brooklyn Connections: History program for students grades 4 to 12, focusing on primary and secondary source research skills and analysis based on Brooklyn’s fascinating history, plus professional learning opportunities for teachers.
Brooklyn Cultural Adventurers Program and BCAPTeen Creative Leadership Project: Award-winning summer day camp for children 7 to 12 and teen digital media program, providing thematically linked adventures at six partner institutions.
Brooklyn Public Library Literary Prize: Annual prize presented by the Brooklyn Eagles for new works that reflect the library’s spirit.
First Five Years: A suite of early literacy programs for children from birth through age 5, their parents and caregivers including Babies and Books, Toddler Time, Ready, Set, Kindergarten! and Story Play to encourage the development of early learning and literacy.
Today's Teens Tomorrow's Techies (T4): Teaches digital skills to students ages 14 to 18 and prepares them to serve on BPL’s volunteer team, where they help patrons use the Library’s many free technology resources.
- Brooklyn History & Memoirs
- NYC Novels