The Shelby White & Leon Levy Information Commons marks a new approach to public library space and services.
Located on the first floor of Brooklyn Public Library’s Central Library, this new center will consist of public meeting rooms, a training lab, and an open workspace, each equipped with technology and resources to facilitate individual and group work, learning and creativity. Volunteers will assist Library staff in helping patrons use computer software and equipment.
- Assist Library staff by providing basic instructions to patrons, using Windows and Mac based programs, including advanced creative and multimedia editing software.
- Assist Library staff in guiding patrons with the PC reservation procedures and other functions as needed.
- Assist patrons with requests for print jobs.
- Assist Library staff by troubleshooting technology problems.
- Check equipment at the beginning and the end of the shift to ensure all computers and equipment are working.
- Assist patrons with Brooklyn Public Library Catalog and other online Library resources.
- Computer skills, familiarity with both Windows and Mac computers.
- Knowledge of advanced creative and multimedia editing software, a plus.
- Ability to work with all age groups and ability levels.
- A friendly and approachable manner.
- Knowledge of a second language, a plus.
- Volunteers are asked to make a minimum commitment of two to three hours per week, for a period of at least six months.
How to Apply
Complete an Online Application