Assist library staff with programs, providing experiences with books in language rich environments, so that young children will develop the skills they will need to be successful in school.
- Direct parents/caregivers to appropriate books or materials, based on their questions and age of their children.
- Assist in selecting appropriate books, toys, and rugs for children.
- Read stories and rhymes aloud to children and their parents/caregivers.
- Promote various library programs that would benefit their children's early literacy and/or their relationship with their children.
- Promote the use of the library and its resources by referring families to specialists at the Library, when appropriate.
- Find creative ways to display and market First Five Years books and materials.
- Assist in the maintenance of the First Five Years child friendly space in the library, including picking up, and collecting books to be re-shelved, washing toys and cleaning up, as needed.
- A strong commitment to helping provide experiences in the first five years of life, laying the foundations for future learning.
- Experience working with children, from birth to five years, and their parents and caregivers, formally or informally.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of a language other than English, a plus.
- Volunteers are asked to make a minimum commitment of two hours per week, for a period of at least six months.
- BPL will conduct an investigative background check on volunteers 18 and older, which may be used when considering a prospective volunteer's application.
How to Apply
Complete an Online Application