Part of what makes Brooklyn's culture so unique is the wide range of immigrants from many parts of the world. Help this group of people improve their English-speaking skills by leading small English conversation groups.
- Select appropriate sources and materials for discussion.
- Lead small conversation groups at selected BPL libraries, providing direction and facilitating focus on selected topics for discussion.
- Conduct educational or interactive exercises with individuals and/or groups.
- Promote the use of library resources by referring students to specialists at the library, when appropriate.
- A strong commitment to helping people learn to speak English.
- A friendly and approachable manner.
- Ability to get along with a diverse group of people.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Training is provided.
- Volunteers are asked to make a minimum commitment of two to three hours per week, for a period of at least six months.
How to Apply
Complete an Online Application
This program is made possible by a grant from the New York State Library/ Adult Literacy Services Grant Program.