Part of what makes Brooklyn's culture so unique is the wide range of immigrants from around the world. Assist these patrons in becoming United States citizens by leading exam preparation instruction.
- Lead small groups at Brooklyn Public Library on selected topics from the United States Citizenship and Immigrant Services Naturalization Exam, including U.S. history and government.
- Conduct educational and interactive exercises with individuals and/or groups, including reading, speaking and writing exercises.
- Familiarize patrons with the process of becoming a citizen through naturalization.
- Familiarize patrons with different community organizations that can aid them through the naturalization process.
- Promote the use of library resources, as well as online resources, by referring patrons to specialists at the library, when appropriate.
- Interest in teaching and leading others.
- Ability to get along with a diverse group of people.
- A friendly and approachable manner.
- Excellent communications skills.
- A strong commitment to helping people prepare for their citizenship exam.
- Training is provided.
- Ability to make a minimum commitment of two to three hours per week for a period of at least six months.
How to Apply
Complete an Online Application