BPL Literacy Volunteers are a crucial part of providing adult literacy services to our patrons. We look for tutors who are passionate about sharing their skills and knowledge with adults who want to improve their reading and writing skills, and learn how to use library resources and technology to their advantage.
- A strong commitment to helping people learn to read and write
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Excellent communication skills: ability to speak, read and write English fluently
- Ability to use computer technology a plus
- Experience is not required—we train all our volunteers
- Facilitation: Lead a small group of adults learning to read and write at one of the five Learning Centers for Adults. This includes general administrative duties, such as recording attendance.
- Planning: Collaborative goal setting & planning with adult learners reading below the fifth grade level, utilizing the instructional methods and materials, provided by the Literacy Program that are appropriate for adults and necessary for twenty-first century learning: books, periodicals, technology, special programs, etc.
- Engagement: Lead adult learners in learning activities - reading, writing, and critical thinking - related to their learning and life goals.
What we’ll need from you
To volunteer, please click here.