BPL's Business & Career Center offers financial programs to help you manage your money as well as appointments wtih financial coaches from the Community Service Society and much more. You can explore our many Online Resources such as Morningstar or Weiss Ratings at home with your library card.
- Go to the "Subject Guides" box on the right hand side of this page to get tips about budgeting, investing, student loans & preparing for retirement.
In response to COVID-19, financial coaching is now offered virtually.
Take steps towards financial stability by meeting with a financial coach. The Financial Coaching Corps of The Community Service Society of New York provides free and confidential help in developing positive financial skills, including:
- Improving credit by obtaining, reviewing and repairing credit reports;
- Using formal banking services and avoiding fringe services;
- Reducing debt by developing a debt management plan;
- Creating and using budgets to manage finances;
- Increasing savings to build assets;
- Applying for public benefits.
Virtual one-on-one financial coaching is available by appointment. If there are no openings, please check back in a few days. Thank you. Visit this page to make an appointment.
- This year, Brooklyn Public Library is pleased to offer in-person tax help at a few locations thanks to free services offered by partner organizations. Each organization offers a slightly different model, from assisted self-prep to tax helpers completing the forms for you. All assistance is by appointment, and you must bring several documents, including prior year tax forms. For details, BPL locations, and links to make an appointment, please visit the Free Tax Help page.
- BKLYN Retirement Planning
- BKLYN Real Estate Investing
- BKLYN Money Savvy Teens
- BKLYN Change your Money Mindset
- BKLYN Investing Basics
Your complete retirement planning road map a comprehensive action plan for securing IRAs, 401(k)s, and other retirement plans for yourself and your familyEd Slott
What color is your parachute? for retirement planning a prosperous, healthy, and happy futureJohn E (John Eric) Nelson
How to age in place : planning for a happy, independent, and financially secure retirementMary A Languirand
Real Estate Investing 101 : From Finding Properties and Securing Mortgage Terms to REITs and Flipping Houses, an Essential Primer on How to Make Money with Real Estate.Michele Cagan
Investing in income properties : the big six formula for achieving wealth in real estateKenneth D Rosen
Financial literacy for millennials : a practical guide to managing your financial life for teens, college students, and young adultsAndrew O Smith
The infographic guide to personal finance : a visual reference for everything you need to knowMichele Cagan
The teen money manual : a guide to cash, credit, spending, saving, work, wealth, and moreKara McGuire
Work your money, not your life : how to balance your career and personal finances to get what you wantRoger (Financial planner) Ma
The buy nothing, get everything plan : discover the joy of spending less, sharing more, and living generouslyLiesl Clark
The little book of common sense investing : the only way to guarantee your fair share of stock market returnsJohn C Bogle
A random walk down Wall Street : the time-tested strategy for successful investingBurton Gordon Malkiel