Whether you are just starting or have some experience with personal finance, we have a service suited to meet your goals. Learn about budgeting, investing, student loans or preparing for retirement. With a large collection of print and online financial resources and free counseling services, finding the information and developing the skills you need to have a savvy relationship with your finances can be easy at Central Library’s Business & Career Center.
What We Do
- Attend events and workshops at the Library on saving, credit repair, investing and more.
- Go to our Events Calendar to see all of our upcoming finance events and workshops.
Tuesdays from 10:00AM to 4:00PM
- Take a step towards financial stability with the help of a counselor from Bedford-Stuyvesant Restoration's Financial Empowerment Center. These counselors can advise you on issues ranging from budgeting,repairing your credit, and reducing debt. Appointments are required for this service, and please call the Bedford-Stuyvesant Restoration at 718.636.6994 to make an appointment at the Central Library. Financial counseling sessions will take place in Information Commons Meeting Room 3 on:
- During tax season get free assistance filing your taxes from organizations such as AARP and the Food Bank.
- Go to the "Subject Guides" box on the right hand side of this page to get tips on the best resources for managing and investing your money.
Events & Classes
- Retirement Planning
- The Basics of Investing
- Credit Reports/Credit Repair
- Debt-Free Living
- Money & Finance for Teens
Slash your retirement risk : how to make your money last with a simple, safe, and secure investment planCook, James Christopher, 1971- author.
How to keep and grow your retirement assets : new investment strategies for a new realityWildermuth, Daniel.
Retirement planning in 8 steps : the practical guide to securing your financial wellbeingKranc, Joel
The Little Book of Common Sense Investing : The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market ReturnsBogle, John C.
Investing 101 : from stocks and bonds to ETFs and IPOs, an essential primer on building a profitable portfolioCagan, Michele
The women's guide to successful investing : achieving financial security and realizing your goalsTengler, Nancy.
The everything investing in your 20s and 30s book : learn how to manage your money and start investing for your future, now!Duarte, Joe. author.
Your credit score : how to improve the 3-digit number that shapes your financial futureWeston, Liz Pulliam.
The essential credit repair handbook : [a quick and handy guide for anyone who wants to get and stay out of debt]McNaughton, Deborah, 1950-
Living well with bad credit : buy a house, start a business, and even take a vacation-- no matter how low your credit score isBalish, Chris.
Your credit score, your money & what's at stake : how to improve the 3-digit number that shapes your financial futureWeston, Liz Pulliam.
American credit repair : everything u [i.e. you] need to know about raising your credit scoreRhodes, Trevor.
The 2% Rule to Get Debt Free Fast : An Innovative Method to Pay Your Loans Off for GoodMichael, Alex/ Michael, Cassie
The debt-free spending plan : an amazingly simple way to take control of your finances once and for allNagler, JoAnneh.
The debt escape plan : how to free yourself from credit card balances, boost your credit score, and live debt-freeHarzog, Beverly Blair.
The value of debt in building wealth : creating your glide path to a healthy financial L.I.F.E.Anderson, Thomas J. (Certified investment management analyst)
The teen money manual : a guide to cash, credit, spending, saving, work, wealth, and moreMcGuire, Kara.