Do you love technology and your library? Want to make a difference in your community? Looking to build your resume and gain valuable work and leadership experience? Apply to BPL's Today's Teens, Tomorrow's Techies program!
By participating, you'll learn new computer skills in a two-week fall technology institute, and then share those skills by helping patrons use library computers. You'll also assist library staff with computer troubleshooting and computer training workshops for the public.
- Interest in technology!
- Make a difference in your community.
- Receive stipends following successful completion of training and library service hours.
- Get community service credits for school!
- Assist Adult Librarians, working as lab assistants in delivering computer training programs.
- Assist patrons in using windows-based software and online Library resources.
- Assist Library Technology Resource Specialists by troubleshooting more advanced technology problems, applying skills learned in training workshops.
- 14-18 years old.
- Consent portion of Today's Teens, Tomorrow's Techies Volunteer Application signed by parent or guardian before starting the assignment.
- Attend and successfully complete a two-week summer technology workshop, prior to beginning Today's Teens, Tomorrow's Techies volunteer assignment.
- A friendly manner and an ability to get along with a diverse group of people, using skills learned at the workshop.
- After successful completion of the workshop, teens volunteer a minimum of three hours per week for a period of at least 6 months.
- Teens are asked to attend two Volunteer Forums during the year, for teens to discuss challenges and successes experienced, exchange tips on coaching and socialize.
- After completion of their volunteer commitment, participants are asked to write a short essay about their experience in Today's Teens, Tomorrow's Techies.
How to Apply
- Complete an Online Today's Teens, Tomorrow's Techies Application or
- Complete a Print Application (PDF) and mail it to:
Today's Teens, Tomorrow's Techies
Grand Army Plaza
Brooklyn, NY 11238
Want more information? Contact Todays Teens, Tomorrow's Techies at 718.230.2406 or e-mail us at [email protected].
Today’s Teens, Tomorrow’s Techies is made possible through the generous support of Altice, Best Buy, Goldman Sachs, The Hearst Foundation, New York Life Foundation and NYC’s Department of Information Technology and Telecommunication through the NYC Connected Communities program. Additional funding is provided by the Pinkerton Foundation.