StoryTeen is an internship program for 10th-12th grade students with an interest in literacy and early childhood education. As a StoryTeen intern, you’ll learn about literacy, assist with storytime, and have fun!
- Build your academic, college, and career readiness skills with support from a mentor
- Work behind the scenes on developing cutting-edge programming and projects
- Receive a stipend, volunteer service hours and resume-building experience
- Discover a variety of career paths in early childhood education
- Meet teens from across NYC
- Complete 20 hours of training on child development, literacy, library, and career skills and 80 hours of hands-on work experience for a total of 100 hours
- Support children's librarians conducting virtual and outdoor storytime
- Assist with a variety of children’s programs, projects, and events like the Big Brooklyn Playdate
- Work on a creative project that connects to the library’s mission and early literacy
- Interest in libraries and helping children and families
- Enrolled in a NYC high school in 10th-12th grade
- Available 3-5 hours a week during out-of-school time from November 2023 through May 2024
- Moderate to high level of English fluency (bilingual a plus)
- Signed consent of parents to engage in 100 hours of intern service during out-of-school time
StoryTeen is made possible through City’s First Readers, an initiative of The New York City Council.