The Brooklyn Heights community has a long history of support for civic libraries. The Mercantile Library Association of the City of Brooklyn established a library in this neighborhood in 1857, succeeded by The Brooklyn Library. In 1903 the Montague Street Branch of the Brooklyn Public Library was founded.
The present-day Brooklyn Heights Branch was opened on May 31, 1962. It featured a large children's room and auditorium. On either side of the entrance are reliefs by Clemente Spampinato depicting literature, crafts, science, knowledge, art, industry and business. The branch was relocated in 1990 while the building underwent renovation. It was reopened in 1993 with significantly expanded space and a joint sharing of the site with the Library's Business Library.
Facing governmental agencies and near many commercial establishments, the branch serves a wide cross-section of metropolitan residents in addition to Brooklyn Heights residents.
Along with its regular services, the Brooklyn Heights Branch sponsors many programs,especially readings with authors, many of them local residents. The community's tradition of support for libraries continues with the work of the Friends of the Brooklyn Heights Branch.