Tech Play Recipe: Sink or Float
You will need:
- Smartphone or tablet
- PBS Kids Play and Learn Science App
- Low bin with water (optional)
- Varied objects that may sink or float (optional)
- Be a scientist! Observe, ask questions, and test your hypothesis!
- Play the “Sink or Float” activity in the PBS Kids Play and Learn Science app.
- Ask questions like: what do you think will happen if? and why do you think that happened?
- Use words like: sink, float, heavy, light, buyoant, absorb
- Re-create the experiment with real materials.
- Let your child explore the objects, and make predictions about what they think will sink or float.
Tech Tips for Young Children:
- Co-view media together: talk with your child, watch, listen and play along.
- Choose media that matches your child’s interests, and is age appropriate.
- Create a screen free zone in the bedroom to ensure healthy sleep habits.
- Be a role model by limiting your own media usage, your child will follow your lead!
- Set rules for screen time together as a family. Use our Family Media Plan!
For more tips on managing screen/tech time with your little ones, check out our post: Balancing Your Family's Screen Time in Difficult Times
Get the latest updates from BPL and be the first to know about new programs, author talks, exciting events and opportunities to support your local library.Sign Up