Use your Summer Reading 2019 rocket bookmark to create a straw rocket! All materials (including straws, while supplies last) can be found at your local branch on June 1st during Summer Launch. This year's theme is "A Universe of Stories," and every branch will feature fun activities throughout the day as we begin our summer reading challenges!
- Summer Reading 2019 Rocket Bookmark
- Markers or crayons
- Small piece of scrap paper
- Color and decorate your rocket.
- Cut out your rocket along the dotted line.
- Roll a small piece of paper around a straw. Tape the paper together so that you have a small tube. Don’t tape the straw to the tube!
- Close one end of the tube with tape. Tape the tube to the back of the rocket, with the closed end toward the rocket’s nose.
- Place the smaller straw inside the paper tube, and blow through it to make the rocket take off.
- Try launching the rocket at different angles to see which gives the most distance
Experiment with angles by orienting the rockets before launching them. By using bending drinking straws, launch rockets at zero-degree, 45-degree, and 90-degree angles. Record the distances the rockets travel and compare results.
Rocket-themed titles for you to explore:
The flying machine book : build and launch 35 rockets, gliders, helicopters, boomerangs, and more written by Bobby Mercer
"Shows readers how to turn rubber bands, paper clips, straws, plastic bottles, and index cards into amazing, gravity-defying flyers. Each project contains a material list and detailed step-by-step instructions with photos. Mercer also includes explanations of the science behind each flyer, including concepts such as lift, thrust, and drag, the Bernoulli effect, and more"Check the Catalog
Rocketry : investigate the science and technology of rockets and ballistics written by Carla Mooney
Traces the history of rocket development from early Chinese fire arrows to modern-day space shuttles, discussing the science behind rocket flight while outlining projects that use the forces of thrust, gravity, lift, and drag.Check the Catalog
Roaring Rockets written by Tony Mitton
Get ready for blast-off to learn all about rockets! Roaring Rockets follows the animal crew as they become astronauts heading to the Moon. Each page is filled with details that machine-mad kids will love: spacesuits, oxygen helmets, the lunar lander, and much more!Check the Catalog
Check out the entire Rocket book list here!
And don't forget to find out what's happening at your favorite library for Summer Launch!
Get the latest updates from BPL and be the first to know about new programs, author talks, exciting events and opportunities to support your local library.Sign Up