BPL offers three free programs to help you get your taxes done before the April 15th deadline. All locations will be closed on President's Day (Monday, February 18). Please note: To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-jointly tax return, both spouses must be present to sign required forms. Due to the government shutdown, there may be a shortage of printed forms available; however, the Library will continue to offer our free tax help programs without interruption. View the scheduled Tax Help sessions on our events calendar

Free Online Tax Help

The Food Bank, in partnership with NYC's Office of Financial Empowerment and Brooklyn Public Library, will help you electronically file your tax return for free from January 28 through April 15, 2019.

To participate, you must have a valid email address and basic computer skills. Please bring the following required information:

  • Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for all names on the return, including dependents
  • Birth dates for yourself, your spouse and your dependents on the return
  • Your 2018 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or Self-Select PIN number. AGI is the amount shown on your 2017 Form 1040, line 38. The Self-Select PIN is the five-digit PIN you used to electronically sign your 2017 return. If you cannot find this information on the return, or do not have your 2017 tax return, call the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 1.800.908.9946 or visit irs.gov and search "get transcript" to request a Tax Return Transcript.
  • Wage and earning statement from your employer(s): Form W-2, Form W-2G, 1099-R
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1098 and 1099)
  • Proof of any other income, e.g. lottery winnings
  • Total paid for child care provider and the provider's Taxpayer Identification Number or SSN (if you are claiming the New York City Child Care Tax Credit)
  • Bank account and routing numbers (if you are directly depositing your refund). You can find these numbers at the bottom of checks.
  • If you purchased health insurance through the marketplace, bring Form 1095-A and dependents' proof of income (if applicable)

Central Library, 10 Grand Army Plaza (Second Floor Computer Lab)
Tuesdays, 1 - 8 pm; Fridays, 10 am - 2:30 pm; Sundays, 1 - 4 pm

Macon Library, 361 Lewis Ave
Mondays, 11 am - 3 pm; Thursdays, 3 - 7 pm; Saturdays, 11 am - 3 pm 

New Lots Library, 665 New Lots Ave
Mondays, 12 - 5 pm; Tuesdays, 2:30 - 7 pm; Sundays, 1 - 4 pm

AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Help for Low & Middle Income Taxpayers

AARP Foundation operates the AARP Tax-Aide program under a cooperative agreement with the IRS. An IRS-certified volunteer from the AARP Foundation will help you complete your tax return. Assistance is available on a first come, first served basis from February 1 through April 15, 2019. For a list of documents you may need to bring, visit the AARP website.

Central Library, 10 Grand Army Plaza (Trustees Room, 3rd Floor)
Mondays, 10 am - 2 pm, February 4 - April 15 

Bedford Library, 496 Franklin Ave
Wednesdays, 1 - 4 pm and Fridays, 10 am - 2 pm, February 1 - April 12 

Leonard Library, 81 Devoe St
Fridays, 10:30 am - 3 pm, February 8 - April 12 

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax preparation assistance to families who earn $70,000 or less and individuals who earn $35,000 or less. This includes persons with disabilities, seniors and limited English speaking taxpayers who meet the income requirements and need assistance preparing their tax returns. The service at Flatbush and Kings Bay libraries is offered by the Brooklyn College Koppelman School of Business; the service at Coney Island and Jamaica Bay libraries is offered by Urban Upbound. Assistance will be available from January 29 through April 15, 2019

Please bring the following required information:

  • Picture Identification Card
  • Social Security Card for taxpayer, spouse and all dependents claimed
  • Voided Check if requesting direct deposit
  • All income and expense statements (W2, 1099, SSI SSA, tuition statements, mortgage interest statements, student loan interest and all other tax documents)
  • Last year’s federal and state income tax returns

Coney Island Library, 1901 Mermaid Ave (Community Room 1)
Tuesdays and Fridays, 10 am - 4 pm, February 5 - 26

Flatbush Library, 22 Linden Blvd
Fridays, 10 am - 4 pm and Saturdays, 10 am - 3 pm, February 1 - April 13 

Jamaica Bay Library, 9727 Seaview Ave
Mondays, 10 am - 5 pm and Wednesdays, 1 - 7 pm, January 28 - April 15

Kings Bay Library, 3650 Nostrand Ave
Fridays, 10 am - 4 pm, February 8 - April 12 

Tax Forms

NEW: Federal Tax Form 1040 is used by US taxpayers to file an annual income tax return. For Tax Year 2018, you will no longer use Form 1040A or Form 1040EZ, but instead will use the redesigned Form 1040. Many people will only need to file Form 1040 and no schedules. However, if your return is more complicated (for example, if you claim certain deductions or credits, or owe additional taxes), you will need to complete one or more of the new Form 1040 Schedules. Please visit irs.gov to see a general guide of which schedule(s) you will need to file.

Pick Up Forms

Only a limited number of the most popular forms and instructions are distributed to library branches. Call your branch to see if forms have been received, but please note, we cannot check for the availability of specific tax forms. At Central Library, the forms and instructions are located in the Society, Sciences & Technology division on the 2nd Floor.

Print Forms

At BPL locations, it costs 10 cents per page to make photocopies of forms or to print forms from a website. A valid BPL card or guest pass is required to access the library's computers and to pay for prints. At Central Library at Grand Army Plaza, one copy of your current year of tax forms and one copy of the previous two years of forms can be printed free of charge at the Information Commons (1st Floor) and in the Society, Sciences & Technology division (2nd Floor). Instruction booklets and additional copies of tax forms can be printed for 10 cents per page.

Download Forms & Instructions

To get all forms and instructions previously mailed in the income tax packets, including forms from previous years, try downloading them from the Internet. Tax forms are no longer available for pick-up at local post offices and only a limited supply is available at libraries. Click here for Federal Forms and here for New York State Forms.

Order Federal Forms & Publications by US Mail

You can order tax forms, instructions and publications you need to complete your 2018 tax return on the IRS website. They will process your order and ship it by US mail when the products become available. Most products should be available by the end of January 2019. You may also call 1.800.829.3676 to order federal forms and publications.

Forms for Other States

Tax Forms for all 50 states can be found on the Federation of Tax Administrators' website.

Information You'll Need to File Your Taxes

  • Government- issued photo ID
  • Social Security Cards for you and all dependents
  • All income-related items
  • All deduction-related items
  • Your spouse (if married and filing jointly)
  • If you purchased health insurance through the marketplace, bring form 1095-A, and dependents' proof of income.

Electronic Tax Filing at BPL

Outside of the tax assistance programs offered at BPL, due to privacy issues and time restrictions, electronic filing at BPL is not recommended. If you do choose to file using BPL computers, it requires a valid BPL card or the purchase of a guest pass. We highly recommend that you close all browser windows before your session times out. If you print out copies of your returns, the cost is 10 cents per page.

Tax Refund Status

Where's My Refund? - Check the status of your refund online at the IRS website.

NY State Income Tax Refund Status - Check here for the status of your New York State refund.

For more information, visit nyc.gov/taxprep or call 311 and ask for tax preparation.

Disclaimer: Brooklyn Public Library is not engaged in rendering legal, accounting or other professional services. If legal advice or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional person should be sought. This site provides links to websites that provide information about the law. But legal information is not the same as legal advice—the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances. Although care has been taken to only list links to reputable websites, we recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that the information you find, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. No website should be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney.

close navigation