Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a service that allows valid Brooklyn Public Library (BPL) cardholders to request print books that are not in our collection from other libraries in the United States. We do not request:
- Print books already owned by BPL (including Reference materials);
- Multimedia materials (including DVDs, CDs, and audiobooks);
- Computer software (such as Rosetta Stone); or
- Print articles from magazines or journals and/or an entire issue of a magazine or journal.
- You may request up to 6 books through ILL at a time.
You can place an ILL request in person at the reference desk of any BPL location.
All ILL notifications will be sent via email. An email address is required to place a request.
All ILL books will be delivered, and should be returned to, the branch from which they were requested.
ILL books are time-sensitive materials whose due date and renewals are determined by the lending library. Please pick up your materials as soon as possible after being contacted. The due date is stated on the book strap attached to the front of the book and in the email notification you will receive when the requested book arrives at BPL.
Fines for overdue ILL materials are $1.00 a day. Costs for replacement copies are set by the lending library. Please do not purchase a replacement copy as many libraries do not accept replacements for their materials.
We cannot always find a library willing to lend us their materials. Not all libraries participate in our ILL consortiums. The requested books may also be non-circulating, lost, checked out, or deemed to be too new.