Learn new skills and be a role model for other kids
If you're a teen volunteer (ages 12-18), you can help librarians read aloud to children and assist with all kinds of cool youth programs.
- Read aloud to children, using the dialogic reading method.
- Assist staff in planning, conducting, and evaluating children's programs (i.e. arts and crafts/drawing and painting, puzzles and games).
- Introduce children to appropriate children and teen websites.
- Act as community liaison by promoting programs and services in the library.
- Create book displays.
- Assist staff with special library projects and programs.
- A friendly manner and a strong commitment to working with children.
- School Year Book Buddies are asked to make a minimum commitment of two to three hours per week, for a period of at least three months.
- Summer Book Buddies are asked to make a minimum commitment of ten to fifteen hours per week, for a period of least three weeks. (only available July and August).
- Summer Book Buddies are interviewed at the branch level.
How to Apply
Complete an Online Application