Summer Reading 2016
Summer Reading begins Thursday, June 9!
Calling all Brooklyn Summer Readers!
Summer is a great time to read what you like, to learn new things, and have fun with friends. Find free programs and events for all ages throughout the summer on our events calendar. Declare yourself a Summer Reader at your library and online at www.summerreading.org.
Play the Summer Reading Games!
Everyone who finishes a Summer Reading Gameboard or Summer Challenge will be entered into a drawing for a set of books personally chosen for each winner.
Even More Games at New York’s largest amusement park!
Luna Park in Coney Island is offering a chance to receive free rides for finished game boards. Mondays-Fridays July 5 to September 2, show your finished game board or challenge at the ticket booth to receive a regular Luna Park wristband that allows unlimited access to 22 rides at Luna Park for a period of up to 4 hours. For all ages! Kids who are under 36” tall will receive a 2-hour unlimited Kiddie wristband, which includes mild thrill rides Lynn’s Trapeze and Water Mania. The B&B Carousel is not included.
All activities and challenges on game boards must be completed. Present your game board at Brooklyn Public Library branch locations to receive your stickers for ages 0-12 or branch validation for ages 10+. Game boards for ages 10+ will not be accepted at Luna Park unless they have been validated at a Brooklyn Public Library branch. For more information click here.
Baseball Book Review Contest
Enter the Summer Reading Baseball Book Review contest for a chance to win tickets to the Yankees vs. Toronto Blue Jays game on August 17. For Baseball Book Review contest rules, click here.
NYC Summer Reading 2016 booklists
You can read what you like this summer, but for tips on great books, try our recommendations:
- Books for Babies & Toddlers
- Books for Preschool and Pre-K
- Books for Kindergarten & Grade 1
- Books for Grades 2 & 3
- Books for Grades 4 & 5
- Books for Middle School
- Books for High School
- Books for Adults
- Books in Spanish /Libros en Español
- Want a personalized Summer Reading list? Librarians to the rescue! Click here to try BookMatch!
Teachers and Community Leaders
- In May and June, our librarians visit schools, child care centers and community groups to bring free booklists and other giveaways. We give entertaining booktalks, read stories, and tell students about our free summer activities and the Summer Reading website, www.summerreading.org. Please contact your local neighborhood library or write us at email@example.com to schedule a visit.
- Share information about our Summer Reading program with your students or community with this downloadable presentation:SummerReading2016.pdf
- The NYC Summer Reading booklists are made by librarians from the three public library systems (Brooklyn Public Library, New York Public Library, and Queens Library) and the Department of Education's School Library Services office. Your students will have a good chance of finding these books at the library because we have many copies available.
This easy-to-use database includes lesson plans, QR code flyers, video book trailers, and original movies and audio recordings with exceptional authors and illustrators.
- If you recommend other Summer Reading books to your students, be sure that there are enough copies available in the public library. Check the Brooklyn Public Library catalog first at http://brooklyn.bibliocommons.com/.