BCAPteen: Investigating the arts, nature, culture, and community through film.
BCAPteen Creative Leadership Project is a 6-week, full-day summer program for teens blending digital media & communications, personal & professional skills, and youth leadership through the lens of documentary filmmaking.
Over the course of the summer 20 teens earn a stipend and volunteer hours while becoming knowledgeable on our six partner institutions, building skills, producing creative work that reflects their interests, and contributing back to the BCAP community.
Our home base is BPL Central Library's beautiful new Shelby White and Leon Levy Information Commons learning lab, in partnership with the five other incredible cultural institutions on the BCAP Campus.
The application period closed on March 15th.
- Apply Online Here: Feb 1- March 15, 2016
- You will receive a confirmation email within one week.
- All applicants will receive a follow-up by March 18, and select applicants will be invited for an interview.
- Interviews: (Pencil one or more date in your calendar.)
- Tues 3/22, 4:30-6:30 PM
- Wed 3/23, 4:30-6:30 PM
- Saturday 3/25, 10-12:30 and 12:30-3:00
- Notification of Acceptance: May 2
20 teens will be selected to participate in summer 2016.
Who Should Apply?
Teens ages 13-17 with an interest in...
- Producing creative projects through filmmaking
- Exploring 6 awesome cultural institutions in the heart of Brooklyn
- Being a leader and role model for kids, peers, and the community
- Working as part of a close-knit team of 20 peers
- Setting goals for the future and achieving them
- Being creative, having fun, and meeting teens from across the city
- Committing to doing this for 6 weeks, Monday-Friday, 9am-3:30pm
Dates: July 7 - August 17, 2016
- Orientation: Saturday, June 18th, 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Graduation: Tuesday, August 16th, 5:30-7:00 PM
- BCAP Film Festival: TBA
- BCAPteen runs concurrently with BCAP Summer Camp for siblings
- Full attendance is mandatory
- Select participants are invited to return during the school year as Alumni Ambassadors at Brooklyn Public Library
Location: BCAP Cultural Campus
- BCAPteen's Home Base is BPL Central Library's Info Commons Learning Lab, in partnership with our 5 other partner institutions:
Earn volunteer hours
- Earn a stipend (ages 14+ only)
- Receive a letter of recommendation from your instructors
- Build your resume, skills, and experience
- Be invited back as an Alumni Ambassador in the schoolyear
- Make connections to people and places that can offer you opportunities in the future
- Younger siblings get a discount for BCAP Summer Camp
More details here in the 2016 Info Packet
Staff & Educators
BCAPteen is coordinated and supervised by our BCAP Directors, with support from education staff at our five partner institutions. Curriculum and daily activities are facilitated by two experienced, talented, and FUN educators who specialize in film and working with teens. They are assisted by a Film Tech & Teaching Assistant and two Alumni Interns. Plus, participants will interact with experts at our 6 partner institutions, representing a variety of departments and career paths.
BCAP educators and interns participate in a week of specialized training, including health & safety, positive community-building, bullying prevention, disability inclusion and special needs, teambuilding strategies, curriculum development, and more. All staff undergo background and reference checks, and a selective application process.
Want to work for BCAPteen? Check out our jobs and internships page.
BCAP Adventures come from backgrounds as diverse as Brooklyn itself! We welcome teens from all cultures, economic backgrounds, and family structures. We believe that one of the best ways to learn about diversity is by building friendships with diverse groups of people. We build a sense of community centered on common interests, respect for differences, learning, and having fun!
Check out some films from 2014 and 2015! In these years we were doing narrative fiction, instead of documentary. The films you see here were created 100% by BCAPteens, from idea to final edit, in about 10 days each. There are also some silent films that we made first to practice.