BCAPteen: Investigating the arts, nature, culture, and community through film.
BCAPteen Creative Leadership Project is a 6-week, full-day summer program for teens blending digital media & communications, personal & professional skills, and youth leadership through the lens of filmmaking.
Over the course of the summer 20 teens earn a stipend and volunteer hours while becoming knowledgeable on our six partner institutions, building skills, producing creative work that reflects their interests, and contributing back to the BCAP community.
Our home base is BPL Central Library's beautiful new Shelby White and Leon Levy Information Commons learning lab, in partnership with the five other incredible cultural institutions on the BCAP Campus.
The BCAPteen Application period is now closed.
- Apply: Feb 1 - March 29th
- Interviews: April 3rd & 6th (spring break)
- Notification of Acceptance: April 15th
20 teens will be selected to participate in summer 2015.
Who Should Apply?
Teens ages 13-17 with an interest in...
- Producing creative projects through filmmaking
- Exploring 6 awesome cultural institutions in the heart of Brooklyn
- Being a leader and role model for kids, peers, and the community
- Working as part of a close-knit team of 20 peers
- Setting goals for the future and achieving them
- Being creative, having fun, and meeting teens from across the city
- Committing to doing this for 6 weeks, Monday-Friday, 9am-3:30pm
Dates: June 29th - August 7th, 2015
- Orientation: Saturday, June 13th, 11am-3:30pm
- BCAP Film Festival: TBA (tentatively Saturday, Sept 12)
- BCAPteen runs concurrently with BCAP Summer Camp for siblings
- Participants are expected to attend every day to earn their stipend
- Select participants are invited to return during the school year as Alumni Ambassadors at Brooklyn Public Library
- Forty-minute lunch break
- Early drop-off 8-8:45am with a sibling in BCAP Summer Camp
Location: BCAP Cultural Campus
- BCAPteen's Home Base is BPL Central Library's Info Commons Learning Lab, in partnership with our 5 other partner institutions:
Staff & Educators
BCAPteen is coordinated and supervised by our BCAP Summer Camp Directors at BPL, with support from education staff at our five partner institutions. Curriculum and daily activities are facilitated by two experienced, talented, and FUN educators who specialize in media & communications, and working with teens. Two talented young adult interns will also be helping with the program. Plus, participants will interact with experts at our 6 partner institutions, representing a variety of departments and career paths.
BCAP educators and interns participate in a week of specialized training, including health & safety, positive community-building, bullying prevention, disability inclusion and special needs, teambuilding strategies, curriculum development, and more. All staff undergo background and reference checks, and a selective application process.
Want to work for BCAPteen? Check out our jobs and internships page.
BCAP Adventures come from backgrounds as diverse as Brooklyn itself! We welcome teens from all cultures, economic backgrounds, and family structures. We believe that one of the best ways to learn about diversity is by building friendships with diverse groups of people. We build a sense of community centered on common interests, respect for differences, learning, and having fun!
A detailed program information packet will be available for download in March.