9424 Fourth Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11209
Fully accessible
B8 B63
R
718.748.6919
Managing Librarian
Jay Filan
Open today until 6:00 PM
MON
10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
TUE
1:00 PM - 8:00 PM
WED
10:00 AM - 8:00 PM
THU
10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
FRI
10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
SAT
10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
SUN CLOSED

In the 1890s, Mrs. Gelston of Shore Road donated a collection of books to open the Fort Hamilton Free Library, the predecessor of the Fort Hamilton branch. In 1901, it became a branch of Brooklyn Public Library and in 1905 it moved to its present building and became one of Brooklyn's first Carnegie libraries. Designed by architects Lord and Hewlett, the simple brick building features a limestone trim and a hipped roof with overhanging eaves, and windows placed high on the facade.