The Clarendon Library is located in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn, which is home to the largest West Indian Community in NYC. The branch is part of a vibrant commercial community that includes the Brooklyn Junction, Brooklyn College and a mix of local and chain owned businesses. Clarendon offers a variety of multi-aged programming and partners with local schools as well as many community based organizations.
Under the guidance of the Regional Librarian, the Neighborhood Library Supervisor is responsible for administrative leadership in supervising all aspects of library services at a branch. He/She is responsible for developing and maintaining work standards that emphasize customer service, effective communication, and ethical behavior. He/She will set goals and priorities, develop and monitor reports, administer projects and evaluate services. He/She will serve as the primary branch point person for communicating with Neighborhood Services, other BPL departments and outside agencies.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with branch supervisors to ensure continuity in service to the public
- First rater for Library Information Supervisors & Library Circulation Supervisors, second rater for line librarians, office aides, Technology Training Supervisors and custodians
- Resolve patron complaints and inquiries & makes decisions on waiving fines and fees
- Responsible for branch staffing needs; conduct interviews & make recommendations for hire
- Oversee the development of new and existing branch staff through training and coaching
- Provide direct public service at all service points & the delivery of relevant programs
- Work collaboratively with on-site custodial and safety staff; manage safety of the branch
- Develop an annual branch work plan which includes goals, objectives, measurable outcomes; schedule on-going staff meetings to promote professionalism and teamwork
- Monitor daily and monthly reports (branch budgets, time and leave, circulation, programming statistics, holds, status g, missing & lost, c-fly, long in transit, etc.) and petty cash
- Responsible for collection maintenance and weeding
- Identify emerging trends and new user groups
- Expected to take a share of all shifts, including mornings, late nights, and Saturdays
- Other duties as assigned
Skills & Qualifications:
- M.L.S. from an ALA accredited library school & Public librarian’s professional certificate issued by the State of New York, required
- A minimum of three years demonstrated supervisory & management experience
- Minimum of three year experience as a librarian in a public library setting
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment, identify and assess problems and decisively implement appropriate solutions
- Must strive to maintain positive internal and external customer service relationships
- Demonstrate respect and sensitivity for cultural differences and treat people with respect
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and coordinate work efficiently
- Leadership - inspires and motivates others to perform well
- Delegation skills – plan, assign & monitor delegated activities
- Working knowledge of the library’s electronic reference resources and the Internet, Sierra, Web 2.0, and Microsoft Office Applications
- Ability to work collaboratively and on cross-functional teams
- Knowledge of fundamental principles and practices of modern library management
- Involvement in professional organizations
The salary for this position is $58,718. This position is in the union.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Brooklyn Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, visit our website: http://www.bklynlibrary.org/.