The Literacy Advisor will work to provide direct instruction, offer academic advisement to motivate students, promote self-efficacy & life-time learning, facilitate tailored referrals to other education/training providers and will collaborate with BPL partner organizations. The Literacy Advisor position includes the monitoring of instruction for adults in Learning Centers, supervising computer assisted instruction and collaborating in volunteer development.
The Literacy Advisor will be second-in-charge of a Learning Center, a liaison to the Pre-HSE, ESOL & Young Adult Literacy Program and will act as a resource to other BPL Adult Learning program staff. This position reports to the Learning Center Site Supervisor.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide adult basic education instruction to students enrolled at the Learning Center
- Evaluate adult students’ reading writing and writing utilizing a variety of assessment tools
- Recruit, develop and supervise volunteer tutors by introducing instructional strategies, training and intervention; monitor instruction delivered by volunteer tutors
- Oversee student computer instruction & supervise computer aides
- Work as part of a team to enhance student experience and outcomes.
- Participate actively in all program and staff development initiatives
- Collaborate to build and improve partnerships with other organizations
- Make referrals to other programs and organizations
Skills & Qualifications:
- BA Degree in Education or related field
- 1-2 years’ experience in Adult Literacy Instruction & basic education or teaching English speaking adults below grade five reading/writing level
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and customer service skills
- Strong proficiency in the use of computers and other advanced educational technologies including IPads & Smartboards.
- Experience conducting successful literacy and technology instruction
- Experience in training and developing volunteers
- Knowledge of current theory and practice in reading, writing and assessment
- Ability to work as part of a diverse team regularly
- Leadership qualities to inspire and motivate others to perform well
- Must be able to work varied schedule, including evenings and Saturday
- Some travel required
The starting salary for this position is $47,075. This position is in the bargaining unit.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Brooklyn Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.