Applications are solicited ASAP for BPL’s Ready, Set, Kindergarten! Storytime Program for children ages 3-5 and their caregivers. The RSK Program Facilitators will provide a 6-session series of preschool programs in designated branches of the Brooklyn Public Library (BPL) on specific dates beginning in July 2017, on a fee-for-service basis.
All program leaders must also attend a paid training session scheduled on June 18th from 1-5pm. Each program leader must be willing to travel to their assigned branch, and be available to present programs on the assigned dates. The Summer 2017 dates are Saturdays July 8, 15, 22, 29, August 5, and 12. Some Friday and Sunday dates/locations are also available. A three-hour commitment is required for each session.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Using the RSK curriculum, plan and conduct storytime programs for children 3-5 years of age and their parents or caregivers.
- Share picture books, songs, rhymes, fingerplays and developmentally appropriate arts and craft activities with families to encourage development and literacy.
- Share tips and information with parents and caregivers about early literacy skills and how reading and playing with children can promote their development. Share tips on incorporating reading and learning through play at home.
- Provide feedback to Program Coordinator on parent involvement and participation, curriculum, books and materials, and conduct assessment surveys as needed.
- Set up and clean-up program materials.
- Gather information and surveys from participants for an evaluation of this project.
- Coordinate with assigned branch to prepare for the storytime series ahead of each session.
- Communicate regularly RSK Coordinator.
- Report any problems to mentor or library staff overseeing the program.
Skills & Qulifications:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Enrollment in or completion of a graduate library or education program desirable but not essential.
- Experience leading programs with 3-5 year olds.
- Knowledge of early childhood development.
- Knowledge of children’s literature.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to travel.
- Fluency in Spanish, Haitian Kreyol, Cantonese, Mandarin, Bengali, Urdu, Polish, or Russian a plus.
- Ability to bend, reach, sit and stand as needed
Stipend: $100 per session & $100 to attend the training session.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Attn: Jessica Ralli, Early Literacy Program Coordinator
Brooklyn Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer