The library seeks a press officer to coordinate media relations for the institution. The ideal candidate will have experience working in or with print, web or broadcast media. The press officer collaborates with external media consultants but may also pitch and respond to reporters directly.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serve as liaison with BPL’s outside public relations consultants to secure positive press coverage for the Library
- Draft quotes, write and edit press releases/advisories, and coordinate responses to media inquiries
- Work with Library staff to identify press-worthy events and initiatives
- Plan and manage press conferences for Library initiatives, branch reopenings, and events
- Assist with special projects as directed by the Executive Vice President of External Affairs.
- Build relationships with reporters and pitch stories as appropriate, particularly to local press
- Serve as spokesperson for the institution as needed
- Assist in preparing staff and executives for press interviews
- Monitor media coverage and disseminate clips for trustees and staff
- Work with executive staff and external consultants to formulate communication strategies for the organization
Skills & Qualifications:
- Degree in Communications, Journalism or closely related field
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working in or with print, web or broadcast media
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize projects with minimal supervision
- Interest or experience in libraries a plus
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Brooklyn Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, visit our website: http://www.bklynlibrary.org/.