The Food Bank, in partnership with NYC Office of Financial Empowerment and Brooklyn Public Library, will help you electronically file your tax return for free!
To participate, you must have a valid email address and basic computer skills.
Please bring the following, required information:
- Social Security Number (SSN)or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for all names on the return, including dependents
- Birth dates for yourself, your spouse, and your dependents on the return
- Your 2017 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or Self-Select PIN number. AGI is the amount shown on your 2017 Form 1040, line 38; Form 1040A, line 22; or Form 1040EZ, line 4. The Self-Select PIN is the five-digit PIN you used to electronically sign your 2017 return. If you cannot find this information on the return, or do not have your 2017 tax return, call the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 1-800-908-9946 or visit www.irs.gov and search “Get Transcript” to request a Tax Return Transcript.
- Wage and earning statement from your employer(s): Form W-2, Form W-2G, 1099-R
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1098 and 1099)
- Proof of any other income, e.g. lottery winnings
- Total paid for child care provider and the provider’s Taxpayer Identification Number or SSN (if you are claiming the New York City Child Care Tax Credit).
- Bank account and routing numbers (if you are directly depositing your refund). You can find these numbers at the bottom of checks.
- If you purchased health insurance through the marketplace, bring Form 1095-A and dependents’ proof of income (if applicable).