Orchestra of St. Luke’s performs as part of its annual five-borough community concert tour, with free concerts designed to be as entertaining as they are educational. Since 2016, the tour has focused on OSL’s Music in Color initiative, a multifaceted program celebrating composers of color through biographical concerts.
This season, Music in Color highlights the life, music, and continually evolving career of composer Eleanor Alberga. A British composer of Jamaican descent, Alberga is prolific in nearly every genre, from opera and choral works to pieces for both chamber ensemble and full orchestra. Her works are commonly played throughout Europe with performances and recordings by the BBC Symphony Orchestra, the London Symphony Orchestra, and the Scottish Chamber Orchestra, among others.
Playwright and performer Kirya Traber will join OSL to guide audiences through Alberga’s story and inspiration. This concert will include the North American premiere of Alberga’s Shining Gate of Morpheus for horn and string quartet.
- Eleanor Alberga: Jamaican Medley (arr. for strings by Andrew Roitstein)
- Béla Bartók: 44 Duets for Two Violins (selection)
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Selection from Trio Sonata BWV 529
- Eleanor Alberga: String Quartet No. 1 (selection)
- Eleanor Alberga: Shining Gate of Morpheus for Horn and String Quartet
No children under 6 will be permitted.