Come hear local historian Geoffrey Cobb read from his new book, The Rise and Fall of the Sugar King, a neighborhood history of Williamsburg centered between the years 1844 to 1909, and where the sugar empire built by Henry Osborne Havemeyer is the main narrative. Havemeyer's American Sugar Refining Company on Kent Avenue was eventually renamed as the Domino Refinery.
Geoffrey Cobb is a high school teacher who has lived in Greenpoint for over 20 years. He has previously published two books on Greenpoint history, Greenpoint's Forgotten Past and The King of Greenpoint. He also writes for the Greenpointers blog.