Deadline extended to May 7 for Brooklyn Public Library’s annual PowerUP! Business Plan Competition for Brooklyn-based startup entrepreneurs. Participants attend classes, receive coaching from a business advisor and learn how to write a business plan, all for free. Seed capital is awarded to the best plans to start their business.
To apply to the competition, please read the following information thoroughly.
Are you eligible?
- You must live in Brooklyn.
- Your business must be based in Brooklyn.
- All businesses must have ideas or business models in the start-up phase, been in business for less than one year and have earned less than $10,000
Read our complete Rules and Eligibility pdf to determine if you are eligible to apply.
Please register to join a PowerUP! Q&A session Wednesday, May 5 at 6:30 pm to get your questions answered. You may also email [email protected] for clarification of any of the rules.
How to Enter:
- Click here to view the online ORIENTATION slideshow. The orientation is required and provides instruction on how to apply.
- Create an account in the PowerUP! Review Room online platform using the instruction provided in the orientation.
- Submit an application through your PowerUP! Review Room account by May 7, 2021.
- Review the requirements
What are the requirements?
- View the online orientation which outlines the rules and requirements of the competition and explains how to submit an application.
- Create an account on the PowerUP! Review Room online platform no later than May 7, 2021.
- Answer a series of questions to make sure you understan the rules and requirements.
- Get a Brooklyn Public Library card.
- Submit an online application no later than 11:59 on May 7, 2021.
- Attend 3 out of 4 virtual classes, including a mandatory class on financial statements.
- Meet with a business advisor throughout the competition.
- Upload your business plan by September 13.
- $20,000 – 1st Place
- $10,000 – 2nd Place
- $5,000 – 3rd Place
- $1000 – 5 Merit Awards
- $1000 Audience Choice an additional prize is awarded at the Awards Ceremony
Questions about PowerUP! business plan competition? Contact [email protected]
Don't miss programs and resources that benefit your business success. Sign up for the Business & Career Center eNewsletter.
There are similar competitions available for residents of Manhattan, Bronx, Staten Island and Queens.