Join us for the PowerUP! kick-off in February 2019.
Win $20,000 to start your own business in Brooklyn! Enter our annual PowerUP! competition to gain valuable financial and marketing skills, learn from local business mentors, and compete for our biggest cash prize ever to help fund your dream.
You must be 18 years of age or older, live in Brooklyn and plan to start a business in Brooklyn. Participants must attend an orientation to apply.
Since 2003, we have nurtured 7,200 individuals with 930 business plans and awarded more than $360,000 to Brooklyn entrepreneurs. Our success stories include more than 75 companies with passion for food and drink, health and wellness, arts and crafts, media and fashion, education, social justice, and cultural diversity –everything that makes Brooklyn great.
In the spirit of the Library, we welcome all Brooklyn residents. Among our 2017 participants, 27% are immigrants/foreign born, 67% are women, and 80% have never owned a business.
- Entrants must be 18 years of age or older, live in Brooklyn and plan to start a business in Brooklyn.
- Winners will receive cash awards as seed capital to start a business in Brooklyn. Cash prizes of $20,000 for first place, $10,000 for second place, $5,000 for third place, and $1,000 for five merit winners will be awarded. Also, one of the merit winners will be chosen by the audience to receive an additional $1,000!
- All prospective applicants must attend one orientation before applying. The orientation explains all the details of applying to and participating in the competition. Orientation dates are posted in February.
- Participants must attend an orientation, get a Brooklyn Public Library Card, see a business advisor, and attend a minimum of 3 PowerUP! classes.
- Participants attend classes at the Library on creating business plans, marketing, financial projections, and doing market research. The financial projections class is mandatory.
- Participants are connected to organizations in the community who offer free business counseling.
- Business plans must follow the format and guidelines provided by the competition. Previously written plans must be revised to comply with the competition guidelines.
A well-researched plan that follows the guidelines and clearly shows:
- A need and use for the financial award
- How your business will provide needed products or services to the community
- How your business will be viable and successful
- We no longer offer the PowerUP! KREYòL competition. Language support will be provided for those who speak Kreyòl and want to enter PowerUP!
- Job Search and Resume
- Career Development
- Small Business