After School Homework Helper
Help Children with their Homework
Give support, assistance, and encouragement to children in grades 1-8 who need a little extra help with their homework.
- Assist children one-on-one and in small groups with assignments in math, science, social studies, and other topics, providing direction, clarity, and understanding.
- Instruct children in the use of directories, indexes, and other reference materials.
- Encourage the development of math skills through the use of Web-based technology.
- Promote the use of library resources by referring children to an on-staff specialist, when appropriate.
- A strong commitment to working with children.
- A friendly and approachable manner.
- The ability to get along with a diverse group of children.
- Knowledge of languages other than English, a plus.
- Training is provided.
- Shifts are available Monday - Thursday afternoons between 3:00 PM and 6:00 PM at the Central Library and neighborhood libraries.
- Volunteers are asked to make a minimum commitment of two to three hours per week, for a period of at least six months.
- BPL will conduct an investigative background check on volunteers 18 and older, which may be used when considering a prospective volunteer's application.
How to Apply
Complete an Online Application