English Conversation Group Leader
Help Adults Learn to Speak English
Part of what makes Brooklyn's culture so unique is the wide range of immigrants from many parts of the world. Help this group of people improve their English-speaking skills by leading small English conversation groups.
- Select appropriate sources and materials for discussion.
- Lead small conversation groups at selected BPL libraries, providing direction and facilitating focus on selected topics for discussion.
- Conduct educational or interactive exercises with individuals and/or groups.
- Promote the use of library resources by referring students to specialists at the library, when appropriate.
- A strong commitment to helping people learn to speak English.
- A friendly and approachable manner.
- Ability to get along with a diverse group of people.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Training is provided.
- Volunteers are asked to make a minimum commitment of two to three hours per week, for a period of at least six months.
How to Apply
Complete an Online Application
This program is made possible by a grant from the New York State Library/ Adult Literacy Services Grant Program.