Help and Support
BPL School Outreach Librarians are available to answer questions, provide support, and host teacher and student trainings. Contact your school librarian for more information about the Outreach Librarian assigned to your school.
For 24/7 general library support, use our Ask a Librarian service.
For DOE Office of Library Services Support, contact your school librarian for more information.
MyLibraryNYC connects New York City public libraries and participating NYC Department of Education (“DOE”) school libraries. MyLibraryNYC helps teachers and students access materials beyond their own school library, which means more books, DVDs, magazines, newspapers, online databases and other digital materials full of trusted, high-quality information.
With MyLibraryNYC library cards, teachers and students enjoy no fines on books from Brooklyn Public Library. Over 135 Brooklyn public schools are participating in the MyLibraryNYC program for the 2016-17 school year.
MyLibraryNYC is managed by the DOE Office of Library Services (OLS). Schools enroll in the program over the summer. Read more about the benefits of the program by visiting the MyLibraryNYC website at www.mylibrarynyc.org.
Educator Cards – Contact your school librarian for more information about how to get your MyLibraryNYC Educator card. Download our guide to Educator and Student cards.
Activating New Cards
- Educator cards: Ask your school librarian for help, or download our step-by-step registration instructions.
- Student cards: Ask your school librarian for the special MyLibraryNYC student card application for fine-free library cards. Translations in many home languages available.
Using the BPL catalog – Download our guide to the features of the BiblioCommons catalog: searching, placing holds, making booklists… and more!
Teacher Sets – Browse the teacher set catalog by visiting sets.mylibrarynyc.org
Databases and Downloadable Media, Class Visits, and Special Events – To take advantage of everything the library has to offer, visit our Teacher Resource page for more information about the wide array of resources and services available to educators.
Tips and How To's for Teachers
BPL Outreach Librarians have assembled short how-to guides on a variety of topics … contact your Outreach Librarian for a PDF of any of the following:
- How to put a book/teacher set on hold
- How to check on your holds and checked out books
- How to renew materials
- How to borrow eBooks and audiobooks
- How to sort results by audience level
- How to create and share lists in BiblioCommons
- How to find lists in BiblioCommons
- How to update your email address in BiblioCommons
- How to replace a lost card
For teachers in Manhattan, the Bronx, Staten Island and Queens:
Tools for Sharing MyLibraryNYC with Students and Parents
Contact your Outreach Librarian for a PDF or editable Word doc of any of the following:
- MyLibraryNYC in 10 Minutes: Presenting to your PTA
- MyLibraryNYC Marketing Toolkit
- FAQ for Students 12 and under
- FAQ for Students 13 and over
- Instructions for using your student library card in other boroughs