Windsor Terrace Library - Local History & Photo
Requests for a branch in Windsor Terrace between Flatbush and Borough Park date back to 1916 but no service resulted until 1922. It began as a deposit station with a collection of 3,000 books in a pharmacy. Open six afternoons and five evenings a week, it resembled a miniature branch. It then went through a series of relocations until it closed in August of 1940. The Brooklyn Public Library Annual Report of 1947-48 describes the situation, The Transportation Board went so far as to designate two abandoned street cars, which by some magic were transformed into a library. Talk of turning a sow's ear into a silk purse! Did you ever see an abandoned street car? By all odds it stands at the top of the list of all things abandoned.
From 1951 the area was serviced once a week by a Library on Wheels. Construction of the Prospect Avenue exit of the Gowanus Expressway brought a further delay because it made a cut to Ocean Parkway through the middle of the area. In 1963, a serious search for a site began. The present 7,000 square foot building, planned by architect Gustave W. Iser finally opened on October 22, 1969. The branch collection was supplemented by a grant from the Milton and Sally Avery Collection. The interior of the branch was enhanced by a colorful 30-foot long mural in the children's section. The work was completed by Philip Mastridge, an accomplished artist and sculptor who also worked as the security officer assigned to the branch. The Windsor Terrace branch looks forward to serving the community into the 21st century through its wide range of information resources and special programs.
World War 1 Memorial in Greenwood Playground; Prospect Park; Green-Wood Cemetery