Williamsburgh Library - Local History & Photo
Thousands of people turned out on a biting cold November day in 1903 to watch the cornerstone laying for the Williamsburgh Branch. The branch was considered the first of the Brooklyn Carnegie Libraries, and the laying of the cornerstone - which contained a time capsule of Brooklyn newspapers, the Carnegie contract and other documents, was considered history in the making. Both the Williamsburgh and Bedford branches were featured in the 1903 Library Journal.
The 26,000 square-foot Williamsburgh branch officially opened on January 28, 1905, and was designed by Richard A. Walker in classical revival style. It featured a central delivery desk, a radially-arranged two-story stack section, a reading room with wood wainscoting, fireplaces and other grand architectural amenities.
The plan is likened to that of an open book, with two wings arranged radially around the center atrium. This layout was a favorite for turn of the century libraries as it provided enhanced visual control from the central library desk.
Through its information resources and programming, the Williamsburgh Branch looks forward to serving the changing community into the 21st century.
Nearby are Peter Luger's Steak House, the original Williamsburgh Savings Bank, Roberto Clemente Ballpark, the Brooklyn Navy Yard, and the Williamsburg Bridge.
The Williamsburgh Library shows up in a scene in HBO's Flight of the Conchords.