Saratoga Library - Local History & Photos
The Saratoga Branch, one of the 21 Carnegie Branches erected in Brooklyn, was officially opened on September 3, 1908. Built to replace a branch library at Putnam Avenue, the red brick classical revival style library was designed by renowned architect R.L. Daus of Daus and Otto. The branch had a Spanish-tile roof, and the 10,000 square-foot interior was outfitted with paneled columns, ornate iron railings, hanging light fixtures, and a wood and glass vestibule screen.
Over the years, the Saratoga Branch has undergone a number of architectural changes. From 1958 to 1960, the library was rehabilitated and additional systems were upgraded in 1974.
In October of 1990, the branch was forced to shut down for roof repair and renovations. Vandals removed many original materials from the building before construction commenced and a full-scale renovation was necessary before the building was reopened in January of 1994. The branch will be the first recipient of a collaborative landscaping effort funded and managed by the Horticultural Society of New York. Through its programs and information resources, the Saratoga Branch looks forward to serving the community in the 21st century.