Rugby Library - Local History & Photos
The Rugby Branch celebrates its fortieth year in its present location, having opened on the first of April, 1957, at 1000 Utica Avenue, It was the culmination of more than ten years of work by neighborhood activists to establish an attractive, well-stocked library, with materials to meet the needs of adults and children.
Upon its opening in 1957, the interior of the branch was considered the most colorful of any library in the metropolitan area -- pale blue, yellow, grey, and black with modern furniture in bright scarlets, yellows, and blues. The branch has undergone several interior renovations in the following decades. The most attractive exterior change to date is the addition of a beautifully landscaped Reading Garden, which was completed in November 1996.