DeKalb Library - Local History & Photos

Welcome to DeKalb Branch, April 2000 Technology Available to Public, April 2000 Interior View, April 2000 Patron Reading by Fireplace, April 2000 Reading Area, April 2000 Patron at Computer, April 2000 Upstairs, Interior View, April 2000 Storytime Hour, 2000 DeKalb Library Patron Reading, 1914
Branch History

The DeKalb Branch library opened its doors on February 11, 1905. The library, built with funds donated by Andrew Carnegie, was designed by the Brooklyn architect William Tubby in the classical revival style. It is a large, three-bay brick and limestone building with spacious, high-ceilinged reading rooms. The library was rehabilitated in 1950 when the existing fluorescent lighting was installed, and the front entrance was altered to eliminate the terraced steps and porch, and build the current steps.

In late 1968, the library closed its doors for several months to add staff and to help deal with the rapidly changing neighborhood. The library reopened in early 1969. The branch serves two intermediate schools, five elementary schools, and nine daycare centers and several religious schools. P.S. 274 is located right next door. Currently, the branch is heavily used by children an young adults, with adult women being the second largest group of branch users.

DeKalb has recently been renovated, adding a wheelchair access through an exterior ramp and an elevator.

Famous Facts

South Bushwick Reformed Church (1835) at 855 Bushwick Ave;
St. Barbara's Roman Catholic Church (1910) at Central Ave