All Brooklyn Public Library locations will be closed for Labor Day weekend from Saturday, August 30 through Monday, September 1.
Cypress Hills Library - Local History & Photos
In 1955 when the original Cypress Hills branch opened on a ground floor location within the Cypress Hills Houses, most of the neighborhood population lived within this large housing development. As the surrounding area grew, the need for a branch that served all of Cypress Hills became apparent. The branch expanded its role in 1964 when it became a Reading Center.
The ground breaking ceremony for the new building, which took place on May 27, 1993, was the result of the hard work and co-operation of the local community, their elected officials and the Brooklyn Public Library. The contemporary brick structure, designed by Richard Dattner Architects has a distinctive metal-clad roof. A dramatic skylit central atrium makes the branch light and airy and an entrance gate prominently displays artwork designed by Brooklyn artist Rolando Briseno. The funds for the new building were provided by the Office of Brooklyn Borough President Howard Golden, who called the Cypress Hills Branch a key component in the revitalization of East New York.
Resources in the new branch, which opened to the public in April, 1995, include computer workstations, an expanded children's collection, an African-American collection and a parenting collection. Throughout its 42-year history, the Cypress Hills branch of the Brooklyn Public Library has responded creatively to the needs of the vital East New York community, and this beautiful new branch expands its ability to do so.
Stanley Avenue and Eldert Lane