Crown Heights Library - Local History & Photos
The Crown Heights branch of the Brooklyn Public Library has its origins in the old Concord Branch which was forced to close for construction of the Independent Subway. On January 25, 1931, books and staff were moved to a storefront building at 401 Rogers Avenue, and six years later, the adjoining store was annexed to the branch.
The present building was the third in the Brooklyn Public Library system to be built as part of the Beame Plan, which demanded austere and functional architecture for public buildings. Constructed in less than five months, the library opened its doors on April 21, 1958. In 1992 the branch opened a Computer Center, designed to help students from grades three through high school enhance their reading and math skills and develop their ability to solve complex intellectual problems. Through this initiative, and through the innovative programming and the information resources offered by the Brooklyn Public Library system, the branch continues a 40-year tradition of service to the diverse community of Crown Heights.
Houses of worship include a large Roman Catholic church, several small Baptist and Haitian-Creole churches and several synagogues. In the shopping areas are two large grocery stories, a few small stores and the famous Allan's West Indian Bakery. Downstate University Center and King's County General Hospital are within walking distance.