Greenpoint Library - Local History & Photos
Greenpoint Library was recently awarded grant funding for the construction of the Greenpoint Environmental Education Center, an addition that will transform the branch and promote environmental awareness in the neighborhood.
The original Greenpoint Library opened in 1906 and was one of Brooklyn’s first Carnegie libraries, but the building’s deterioration necessitated its replacement in the early 1970s. The mural that adorns one side of the building is the work of artist Leslie A. Wood; its installation in 2013 was made possible by the Friends of Greenpoint Library.
Greenpoint is the northernmost neighborhood in Brooklyn. It is known for its large Polish immigrant and Polish-American community, and it is often referred to as “Little Poland.” Nearby parks include McCarren Park, the neighborhood’s largest green space, and the smaller McGolrick Park, home to the landmarked Shelter Pavilion and a monument to the ironclad USS Monitor.
Did you know?
Many of Greenpoint’s streets, including Meserole and Calyer, are named for the farming families who once inhabited the area.