The Student Advisor will be responsible for orientation, education and career counseling, data collection and reporting of student outcomes, including fulfilling the obligations for follow-up surveys outlined in the National Reporting Standards, organizing data collection and reporting, establishing and implementing curriculum, and providing effective staff development. The Student Advisor will also work with the Pre HSE Coordinator to coordinate outreach and marketing efforts, and maintain registration and assessment procedures.
The Advisor will work along with the Library’s Adult Learning Program staff to continue the development, implementation and evaluation of services. This New York State Department of Education WIA grant-funded position will report to the Pre-HSE Coordinator.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Share responsibility for the program’s educational and vocational planning process
- Provide academic advisement to motivate student persistence and promote self-efficacy; facilitates tailored referrals to further education & training
- As part of the Pre-HSE instructional team, design and implement instructional modules that support student achievement
- Monitors student attendance & assessment results and conducts quarterly follow-up surveys on National Reporting System (NRS) core outcomes
- Shares outreach responsibilities such as maintaining accurate referral information and coordinating services with adult education providers, workforce systems and job training programs
- Implement and communicate library program policies and procedures
- Provide regular onsite support and supervision through classroom observations and feedback
- Build partnerships for academic and vocational referrals
- Represent Brooklyn Public Library at meetings and conferences
Skills & Qualifications:
- BA in education or related field, MA a plus
- 2 years experience in Adult Literacy. Knowledge of the adult education and/or working with older youth
- Experience in guidance and counseling
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- 1-2 years supervisory experience
- Computer Skills: Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel) and Internet.
- Knowledge of databases and other advanced technologies
- Knowledge of current theory and best practices in reading, writing and literacy assessment
- Experience working in a customer service oriented environment
- A valid driver’s license is preferred
- Ability to work evening and weekends as required
The salary for this position is $42, 638. This position is in the Bargaining Unit.
Interested & qualified applicants can submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com Brooklyn Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.